Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Three Memories

brian1208 Plus
12 10.8k 12 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2013 6:54AM
I couldn't sleep this morning and as I lay in bed for some reason my mind starting mulling over things I remembered from my past (non-family events)

This got me to wondering what would be the first 3 memories that would come to mind for other EPZers so thought to share mine to kick this off:

- the sound of the air-raid warning followed by that of the Doodlebug, then the silence as it cut out and the "Crump" you felt as well as heard when it went off (always thought they should have gone "Bang" instead Smile )

- sitting on the verandah of a makeshift hotel (linked portacabins inside a Longhouse design wooden structure!) on the beach of a logging town in Sarawak, in the middle of a massive tropical storm, drinking brandy with the duty manager as the sea came up and flooded the ground floor

- "Knowing" I was going to die as the Handley Page Herald I was flying in at around 14 thousand feet dropped vertically for more than 13 seconds with the stewardess, our food and drinks etc on the ceiling. (obviously we didn't - else I wouldn't be writing this now Grin )

Over to you

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB 3 1.1k United Kingdom
16 Sep 2013 7:18AM
Are we talking earliest memories or the first 3 that come into our heads?

First 3 would depend on the current situation. If I started to think about the first 3 memories I end up with my earliest and then something random linked to that first one. If it's the first 3 that come to mind it's; I need toothpaste, milk and bread.

And of course reading your memories makes me think of anything I have similar to yours! Now my heads all messed up with stuff and I will forget the toothpaste, milk and bread!
brian1208 Plus
16 Sep 2013 7:30AM
I was suggesting the first 3 that pop into your head, but its really up to you, its only for a bit of fun Smile

"Toothpaste, milk and bread sounds" an interesting diet - cleans your teeth as you eat Smile
thewilliam 7 5.3k
16 Sep 2013 11:19AM
Was it true the news reports of doodle-bug explosions were always reported as falling further north of where they'd really landed so that Jerry would think that they were putting too much fuel in them? Subsequent doodle-bugs should then have fallen short of London.
mikehit Plus
6 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2013 11:34AM
That was the plan, either using indiscrete news reports or the network of German spies (by 1942 the British had identified almost every German spy which meant they faced the firing squad) and getting them to report back incorrect information.
This did not stop some hitting London but it was far less than it could have been.
yashicaboy 3 26 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2013 9:30PM
Waking up in hospital and seeing my legs in the air in plaster (I had had a big bang on the bike and shattered both legs! Still got the pins & scars!)
Holding my daughter Caroline just after a difficult birth having nearly lost her and her mum (Shes now 23 and to big to hold!)
Worrying where my 0-1 mic is! (its a left hander and quite often goes walkabout at work )
brian1208 Plus
16 Sep 2013 11:18PM

Quote:Waking up in hospital and seeing my legs in the air in plaster (I had had a big bang on the bike and shattered both legs! Still got the pins & scars!)

Ouch - I was fellow biker and can sympathise, with me it was only one leg, but hand and back as well, had a "Tin" knee (total replacement) for 17 years as a result
cats_123 Plus
11 4.4k 25 Northern Ireland
17 Sep 2013 8:17AM
Fully awake in the operating theatre having two stents inserted through my arm SmileSmile - realising how mortal we all are (i'm still here too!!!! GrinGrinGrin)

The feeling of pride pulling on my first `county' shirt (hockey) - sent shivers up my spine SmileSmile

Sense of fulfillment on getting accredited for my Chartered Management Diploma in my late 50s....there's hope for everyone!!
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Sep 2013 1:05PM

Quote: Now my heads all messed up with stuff and I will forget the toothpaste, milk and bread!

Toothpaste sandwiches washed down with milk? Are you sure you're not pregnant?? Wink Grin
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Sep 2013 1:06PM

Quote:Fully awake in the operating theatre having two stents inserted through my arm

Count yourself lucky. Over here they go in through the groin... :-0

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.