Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Time for a new PC, but which one

justin c 16 5.0k 36 England
13 Nov 2016 10:46PM
The Lightroom catalogue is where details of all the changes, keywords, labels, etc. etc are stored. I can't remember off hand where the default location is, possibly in C/My Pictures. The Lightroom catalogue is called an lrcat file. It's essential that this is backed up. If you accidentally lose/delete it you will lose any work you've done in Lightroom. It's a good idea to configure the preferences so Lightroom automatically backs up the catalogue, whenever you choose. Every time Lightroom exits is my preferred choice.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
14 Nov 2016 8:29PM

Quote: I can't remember off hand where the default location is, possibly in C/My Pictures.

I am on a mac so slightly different but I keep everything, images, catalogs, previews on an external hard drive named Photo_Library.

28982_1479154836.jpg

The year folders have have the images in subfolders yyyymmdd_location ( or event )

Tianshi_angie 4 2.7k England
14 Nov 2016 9:14PM
I have a similarsystem to you - in Windows 10 all the programmes are on C: -which if yours is similar to mine is actually not a very large drive.Once Lightroomis set up itwill have a record of where your images are and will catalogue them in the place they reside on your PC - whether that drive is an external or an internal.

273254_1479157577.jpg

All of my images are saved on either D: or on external drives which is where Lightroom catalogues them

Sorry for the sliding together of words -my space bar does not seem to be working too good.

You can choose where you place the Lightroom Catalogue. I have put mine in D:/ because C:/ can become a bit too packed if you have a number of programmes so anything that doesnot need to be there I think is better in another drive.
273254_1479157881.jpg

The catalogue itself is saved on D:

If you moves files in a programme outside of Lightroom then Right click on the folder where the files hould be and click on ther 'Synchronise Folder and Lightroom will update that folder.

Dabber 17 235 England
15 Nov 2016 5:52PM
Thanks for taking the time to pass on this useful information, I'm pretty sure that my P.C. man will work his way through these suggestions..
What I am sure about is that the data is somewhere on the P.C. and we ought to be able to marry them up together again.
I alsdo backed them up every time thyat I was prompted to so I would assume that these would be in a different location than the ones generated at the time of processing.
If I wanted Windows to do a search for them what should I type in the search box?
Something like *.Irecat. ?
Once again thank you

Dabber
15 Nov 2016 9:32PM
Launch Lightroom. Go to Edit-Catalogue Settings and it will show you where the Lightroom catalogue is located on your computer.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
16 Nov 2016 6:41AM

Quote:I alsdo backed them up every time thyat I was prompted to so I would assume that these would be in a different location than the ones generated at the time of processing.

If I remember correctly the first time you do the prompted catalog back-up it asks for a location and then remembers it.
But, of course, one can always change it at any time.

I never do it this way as I find it easier to back everything up together as " one package ".... images ( RAW files ), LR Catalog, LR Previews ( the previews can always be re-created but may take a while for large catalogs )
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2016 8:09AM
It's worth making the default location for your Lr catalog (or default catalog backup location) inside a folder that is synced to the cloud such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive etc.

Quote:If you accidentally lose/delete it [catalog] you will lose any work you've done in Lightroom

Not necessarily. Lr can store changes made to images in .xml files - which are stored next to each image - or directly to images that are in the .dng format.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
16 Nov 2016 5:59PM

Quote:It's worth making the default location for your Lr (or default catalog backup location) inside a folder that is synced to the cloud such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive etc

That`s one good solution, another is not storing your Lr catalogue on your C or default drive (I don`t keep any personal files of any sort on this drive) if your using a separate plug in drive only I would defiantly back up the catalogue to a cloud service.
16 Nov 2016 10:29PM

Quote:Not necessarily. Lr can store changes made to images in .xml files - which are stored next to each image - or directly to images that are in the .dng format.

I was assuming that Lightroom is set-up not to create xmp files. But yes, as you point out, if writing to xmp is enabled then not everything is lost if the catalogue is unavailable or deleted.
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
16 Nov 2016 11:38PM

Quote: I would defiantly back up the catalogue to a cloud service

I prefer to do it with in a cooperative manner. Wink
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
16 Nov 2016 11:43PM

Quote:
Quote: I would defiantly back up the catalogue to a cloud service

I prefer to do it with in a cooperative manner. Wink

Hehe, well spotted Smile
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2016 7:41AM

Quote:I was assuming that Lightroom is set-up not to create xmp files. But yes, as you point out, if writing to xmp is enabled then not everything is lost if the catalogue is unavailable or deleted.

It's a useful safeguard - it also means you can email a raw file and email Lightroom's non-destructive adjustments by also emailing the sidecar file.

Canon's raw software DPP stores adjustments within .crw and .cr2 Canon raw files, wherever the file goes the adjustments go. Back up the file you and you instantly back up your settings for that file.

Many members convert their raw files to .dng on import. As I pointed out, Lr stores adjustments within .dng files. much like the Canon system with the upside of the extra portability and extra backup.

The downside of storing adjustment and other metadata within the actual raw file is that your backup software, (cloud-based, computer-based) will see those files as modified even if you just change a few bytes of metadata like a colour label. With small changes to a few dozen files you may generate several gigabytes to upload to cloud backup. If you are going backwards and forwards through images, changing ratings, doing small tweaks it can play havoc with Windows' File History and Apple's Time Machine.

That's why I don't convert to .dng and why I use tiny .xml sidecar files in addition to the catalog.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.