Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Tips - *Please Contribute*

17 Apr 2007 12:25PM
Ok – lets be constructive!

If you had to choose one - what’s the best photography tip you have ever been given? What’s the tip that has improved your photos the most? When did you receive this tip - when you got your first camera, or this morning?

Secondly – if you had to give someone 1 photography tip – what would it be? Would it the same as your best tip ever received?

This can be related to camera work, composition, post editing etc!
jeanie Plus
17 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2007 12:26PM
Don't give in if its raining..........

it does not have to be sunny to take photographs.

I used to be a fair weather tog, till I went on holiday up to Skye a few years ago and Dave Farmer (DF) encouraged me to try for mean and moody shots.... failed miserably at first, was quite grumpy all week, but not being one to give up I persevered. I now prefer the moody images taken in less than favourable weather... although that does not mean I still like too see sunny shots too. Smile

Jeanie
Smile
Geoffphoto 15 13.5k United Kingdom
17 Apr 2007 12:29PM
Make sure that you have a card/film/batteries in the camera!!
17 Apr 2007 12:30PM
Good start jeanie!

Mine would be include some foreground interest (which i try to do!!)
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
17 Apr 2007 12:38PM
Saw a great one the other day from Mike McNamee in Professional Imagemaker magazine. He uses a cane as a brace. By gripping the cane in the left hand at the side of the camera and resting the tip on the floor it makes a camera support when shooting macro and pointing the camera downwards. It's maybe difficult to imagine without a photo, but would work, and is very useful in the field if you find a broken tree branch to act as the support when you didn't take a monopod or tripod.
Davidmet 16 209 1 England
17 Apr 2007 12:45PM
Scan the viewfinder from corner to corner for distractions and in this world of digital ( delete & start again ) if the brain says for a nano second "Take the shot" then take the shot. Also be prepared to zoom with your feet... Smile
starliz 16 1.6k 3 England
17 Apr 2007 1:18PM
Never be afraid to ask a question and be willing to get dirty.

stability especially your feet then camera Smile
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
17 Apr 2007 1:20PM
When taking photos of young children ask them to look in through the lens to see if they can see the little men inside the camera who make the photo. It always ensure full attention is on the camera and you can get some great expressions.
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
17 Apr 2007 1:25PM
just get the f###ing shot and stop messing around with the arty farty stuff

last good tip I gave ( and was ignored) dont go past this point on a harbour wall with big waves breaking over it, it was ignored and a the guy got a ruined nikon and 50-500 for his troubles
geoff makes a good lemon drizzle cake ask him for tips on how to!
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
17 Apr 2007 1:25PM

Quote:Also be prepared to zoom with your feet...

About the best tip there is and one I live by. Smile

Don't give up on landscapes on bright, sunny Summer days during the supposed no no hours between 10am - 2 pm. They are there, you just need to look and think harder. Smile
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
17 Apr 2007 1:28PM

Quote:dont go past this point on a harbour wall with big waves breaking over it

Taking this advice might avoid 'waves of remorse' later!Smile
RipleyExile 18 1.6k 17 England
17 Apr 2007 1:52PM
Permanently fix a UV filter to the front of all your lenses.

Still trying to not think of last Saturday.
BigCol 20 1.8k 1 Scotland
17 Apr 2007 2:03PM
When you take the camera out of the bag at the beggining of a shoot check and re-check the ISO rating set on the camera, it may not be set to what you thought it was. Especially if your memory's like mine! Wink
Phil_Restan 15 280 9 England
17 Apr 2007 2:05PM
Crop in the viewfinder, not on the computer.
randomrubble 16 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2007 2:05PM
Don't put off insuring your kit until after you've been out for a weekend of photography (Repairing a 16-35 snapped in two can be expensive)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.