Tips for a London weekend.

flossie 17 1.6k
9 Jun 2004 1:15PM
Thanks again everyone for all the tips you gave me, we go on Friday, hopefully the weather looks good, have got lots planned and I'm more excited than the kids.
I just have one more question ...about eating out, is there anywhere that's particularly good and are there any places best avoided? I don't want to spend a fortune or be kept waiting hours (kids get bored so quickly). We're going to the London Palladium (is it Soho?) on Friday night so will be eating in that area.
SteveCharles 17 2.3k 18 England
9 Jun 2004 3:09PM
You're going to try and eat out in Soho on a Friday night without spending a fortune or waiting long? LOL!!

Seriously, you're surrounded by all the usual suspects of the fast food world, but that sort of Oxford Circus area is a bit mad.

There are some fun places to eat in Covent Garden, and if you like noodles etc, Wagamama (Tavistock Street) does really good food. They you'll probably have to wait on a Friday night, but you share long benches and tables with other diners and turn-around of customers and service is quick.

Steve
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
9 Jun 2004 3:15PM
Flossie, I have a very good guide (again by Time Out) called Cheap Eats in London. While the recommended places are not necessarily what I would call cheap, there are bargains to be had. If you can wait until the morning, I will have a look through it and pull out a few. As a matter of interest I ate out in Chinatown on Saturday and it was not expensive. Chinese restaurants can also have particularly quick service if you pick the right things. Try and avoid fast food - it just ain't worth it - not in London, not anywhere!
Katie
flossie 17 1.6k
9 Jun 2004 8:49PM
Thanks Steve and Katie, I'll be around tomorrow ...we're off early Friday morning. When I said don't want to pay a fortune I didn't mean I necessarily wanted cheap - just not extortionately expensive - if you know what I mean! We all like Chinese so that would be good.
So I take it Soho is busy on a Friday night, never been ...and am I right in thinking that's where the London Palladium is? and does anyone know if it's a straight forward journey from there to Earls Court where our hotel is? I did the journey planner on the web site and it looked a bit complicated.
kelart 16 570
9 Jun 2004 9:56PM
take a piccadilly line from leicester square to earl's court.

here's the map:
tube (big map)

if you want to find any particular place before the journey:
street map
(and after simply buy little A-Z)

there's something like a london pass.
top attractions
few attractions
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
10 Jun 2004 8:07AM
Morning Flossie - The Palladium is at Oxford Circus, and Soho is the area South East of that, between Regents Street to the West and Oxford Street to the North. As you go south and east from Oxford Circus, you come to Chinatown proper, which is centred around Gerrard Street and Lisle Street. (Oh, and make sure you take note of the gates which mark the entrances to Chinatown - bloomin great big red things - my boyfriend designed them!! he he!). There are SO MANY chinese restaurants on these two streets, you can literally take your pick - they display their menus outside, so find one you like the look of. Allow about fifteen to twenty minutes to find your way to or from Oxford Circus. Nearest tube to Chinatown is Leicester Square. Have you bought an A-Z yet??
Katie
flossie 17 1.6k
10 Jun 2004 8:41AM
Great stuff, thought we'd get the A-Z in the station when we get there, thanks for all your help Katie - appreciate it.
Thanks too Kris, I'll check out those links today.
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
10 Jun 2004 10:25AM
Have a good trip - I'm up to Yorkshire this weekend so I'll wave as we pass!
flossie 17 1.6k
10 Jun 2004 12:44PM
Thanks Edward, you too.

I had a call from school this morning, my little boy had fallen at playtime, they thought he'd broken his arm. I went rushing to get him and he had a sling on, I brought him back to work with me for a while, he got colouring and gradually it stopped hurting, think maybe just a sprain. I know shools have to be a bit over cautious and cover themselves these days, I thought the worst though, something always seems to happen when we're going away.
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2004 4:25PM
At least they rang you. When I picked Sam up the other week, he had an egg sized lump on his head. He'd fallen in morning playtime. His teacher said it was ok, as she'd kept him awake when he was falling asleep in the afternoon!

Anyway...A boat trip on the Thames is a must with the children...mine love it. They love the Eye, too. Also, Hamley's is great and they can play with everything. Have a wonderful time...Debbie x
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
18 Jun 2004 10:56AM
Flossie - did you have a good weekend?
flossie 17 1.6k
18 Jun 2004 11:05AM
Katie, we had a fabulous time, thanks for all your good advice (and everyone else that chipped in)
Got off to a bad start, as I said earlier my son Joe fell at school, spent all Thursday eve in A&E - turns out he'd broken it, so he had a pot on, he was fine though, didn't spoil it at all. Then my Hubby realised the train back on Sunday was the same time as the England game so I wasn't popular for booking that!
We went to the Natural History Museum when we got there on Friday and then to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at the Palladium Friday night.
Saturday morning was Trooping of the Colour, then we went in St James Park and to Buckingham Palace, then Trafalgar Square (where are all the pigeons?) Saturday afternoon was at the Tower (spent hours there), then onto Tower Bridge and walked along the Thames.
Sunday we went on the London eye and then on a tour bus. That was a spur of the moment thing but I'm glad we did it, lasted about 2 1/2 hours, and saw loads of things we wouldn't have. The kids loved being on top and it was a georgous day, although Joe was asleep for about 2 hours of it! We got off at Hamleys and spent a couple of hours in there so they could spend their money from Grandma and Grandad ...wish my money went as far as theirs did!
Train back was Sunday teatime. We had a brilliant time, but now I want to go again and see all the other stuff we missed. Unfortunateley we didn't get out for a nice meal, kids wanted KFC and McDonalds so that's what we had, did have a lovely lunch on Saturday near Trafalgar Square. Spent a fortune, but it was was fab though, worth every penny.
It's my 40th next year and we've been thinking of a weekend in Paris. Might change my mind and go to London. I'd do things differently if we didn't have the children with us, there are lots of things I'd have liked to have seen that would have bored them. That's it with kids though, same with holidays, you have to do what they like.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.