Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Tips for photographing ice skating

PRS1 10 2
6 Dec 2017 1:56PM
Now that we are into the season for outdoor ice skating rinks in many places, what are your top tips for getting the best shots e.g. shutter speed, white balance, bracketing etc?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 2 1.7k England
6 Dec 2017 3:57PM
I would guess that the fact it is Ice doesn't play such an important part as whether or not the sun is shining and what the general lighting conditions are. You may also want to think about 'static' ice skaters as averse to those obviously moving. So moving the camera with the skater will give you a blurred background whereas as a static camera will give you a blurred ice skater. Horses for courses!
Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 6:28AM
This depends on what kit you have, but I would probably shoot at dusk, use a nifty fifty shot wide open picking out individual skaters, those with nice woolly hats, colourful gloves, jumpers and scarves and panning with them, shutter speed min of 1/100th second ISO on auto, manual white balance to give a bit of warmth (or shoot raw).

There are opportunities for nice wide shots of the whole spectacle, background buildings etc but for me the shot of a couple holding hands as they skate along, or small family etc would be what I'd prefer to go for.
LenShepherd 9 3.5k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 7:31AM

Quote:Now that we are into the season for outdoor ice skating rinks in many places

Your profile contains little detail.
There are very few outdoor ice skating rinks in the UK because much of the time the outdoor temperature is around 8 degrees F or higher.
lobsterboy 14 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2017 4:38PM

Quote:There are very few outdoor ice skating rinks in the UK because much of the time the outdoor temperature is around 8 degrees F or higher.

Depends where you are, Seem to be quite a few in London .
8 Dec 2017 11:40AM
There is one in Newcastle at the Life building, gets set up every December. I believe that Sunderland freeze one of the lakes in their parks for winter.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.3k United Kingdom
8 Dec 2017 12:05PM

Quote:There are very few outdoor ice skating rinks in the UK because much of the time the outdoor temperature is around 8 degrees F or higher.

There are quite a few around the country, I used to walk past the NHM rink on my way home each evening.... as freezing point is 32 degrees F, there would not be any trouble keeping an ice rink frozen Tongue

As for settings there is loads to try, a slow shutter speed will give you some motion in your subjects whilst a faster speed will help to freeze the movement. There will be lots of facial expressions from sheer enjoyment to outright fear to capture.

If you are allowed to use flash, depending on your equipment set a slower shutter speed and rear curtain sync and you will get a blur leading to a sharp subject.
Paul Morgan 16 18.9k 6 England
8 Dec 2017 9:28PM

Quote:Now that we are into the season for outdoor ice skating rinks in many places, what are your top tips for getting the best shots e.g. shutter speed, white balance, bracketing etc?

Go with the flow.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.