Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Tips for shooting White Yachts in strong sun

Radius12 14 3 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2009 1:01PM
I've got a business trip planned in the not too distant future to where i'll be visiting some Marinas in the Med. What tips do you recommend to make sure that the white yachts look crisp and the sea looks a great blue.

Alot of the shots will have to be grabbed as we pass marinas ie anytime during the day. Your help gratefully appreciated.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
9 Mar 2009 1:23PM
A Circular Polarizer and bracket furiously.

Smile
baxter 17 164 England
9 Mar 2009 4:04PM
I think you'll have to expect some of the highlights on the hulls to blow out unless you want extremely deep blocked shadows.

Rather than bracket every shot as Mike suggests, maybe spend a short while in the first location working out what exposure compensation works for a fairly standard composition and leave your meter set at that making minor adjustments from this setting.

Be careful if using polariser with very wide lenses, the uneven effect across the sky doesn't suit many images.
Krakman 15 3.6k Scotland
9 Mar 2009 4:31PM
As the lighting tends to be fairly constant in places like the Med, the easiest and safest thing is to stick exposure on manual. If shooting towards the sun, you might need to decrease exposure a bit (or increase it a bit if you want a high key effect).

This is much easier than fighting with an autoexposure system which may be all over the place due to white hulls, reflections from waves etc.
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
9 Mar 2009 7:34PM
Well as you're shooting digitally I wouldn't worry. Turn the highlight warning on so the LCD will show you any blown out highlights.
Leave the camera on whatever mode you prefer, matrix metering and set the exposure compensation to plus 2/3 of a stop for shots where the yatch is fairly small, and maybe a stop to 1 and 1/3 stops for where it is bigger in the frame.

Should do it.

If still in doubt learn how to use the camera's histogram feature.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.