Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Tips for starting in digital photography

good_eye58 17 23
8 Apr 2004 4:09AM
Hello! I will soon be getting my first digital camera, an HP 733 with 3x optical zoom, five white balances, and such. What are some good tips on (1) basic tips to get the most out of it and (2) using it to photography nature outdoors and sights in New York City? I'd appreciate the help.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
8 Apr 2004 5:03AM
A difficult question given that we don't know what photographic experience you have. I am also not familiar with the 733.
But for starters, the first rule is to always have your camera with you, and get out and take pictures regularly - practice makes perfect right? Upload your work onto this site, and see what people think - the advice can be very useful.
With digital cameras, the running costs are zero, so try all of the features out. Experiment with the white balance settings - you can simply delete the images you don't like.
Thirdly, with digital cameras, the LCD panel on the back is very useful for previewing/reviewing the image out in the field, but don't place too much trust in it. You can see if the exposure and sharpness is vaguely correct - but for final analysis - view the image on a computer screen.

Finally - do you have experience with image editing software like Photoshop? If not, then you should think about learning one, as sometimes images need a little post processing to fully maximize their potential.

Mattw
10 Apr 2004 2:51AM
I am not sure I can be a helpful tip for you or not. But as far as I am exprencing my experiments with my first every Camera (digital Canon A-300) Hold your hands steady as much as you can.. with firmness.

Because, at first after taking a few shoots I was begin to believe I wasted my investment on the camera but when another person who used to shoot photo from other cameras.. He just click and the quality was there. Do not try to trust on 100% auto settings that camera will allow you, as Mattw said, do experiments with different options and settings.

Vision, light, shades and finally your own hands. This is what I learn in this one month with camera in my hands

Good Luck
tim franklin 17 2.7k
10 Apr 2004 6:33AM
Do as the other guys suggest, but mainly just shoot as much as you can. Unless you're one of those lucky "naturals", there'll be awful shots a-plenty (been there....haha!), but if you study your stuff - instead of just deleting on the hoof to start - then you'll soon pick up on what works and what doesn't. Take a look at others work, and try initially to use the elements you like from that in your own stuff. Not slavishly copying of course, but as inspiration.

Good luck, and enjoy!!

PS. Don't forget Robert Capa's dictum: "If your photos are poor, you're too far away"
Franticsmurf 19 838 Wales
10 Apr 2004 1:58PM
Just to add to the good advice from the other, try and remember the circumstances and settings you used when you took the photos so you can begin to understand why thigs turn out the way they do. Some cameras record all the settings along with the image and this data (EXIF) is accessible in software such as Photoshop.

Digital sensors tend to lose detail in overexposed parts of an image, so if in doubt, always try and under expose the shot a little as you can always rescue the shadow detail.

There is no substitute for taking photos as a learning tool.

I hope this helps and that we soon see some of your shots in your portfolio.
Dave
10 Apr 2004 9:48PM
Thank you from my end too all of them, we newbies sure need to learn lot from the one with wide experience. and for You GoodEye, we all are waiting to see your first ever shoot within your gallery.

Good Luck
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
11 Apr 2004 12:49PM
There are probably three guiding suggestions for the newbie.

1]Work with the camera on automatic, it was designed by people with considerable experience and can be relied upon to give you a good photo most of the time. There is prety of time for you to become dissatisfied and look for manual over-rides.

2] remember that the camera takes the shot up to two seconds after you press the trigger. [Take a shot of a clock with a sweep second hand to give yourself an idea of your camera] You can speed this us by taking half pressure, which tells to camera to set up for the shot, and then when possibly an indicator on the camera says it is ready, complete pressure. This is the basis of tricking the camera into giving your the results you want, as in suggestion [3].

3] appreciate that a digital camera, like slides if you have experience with them, cannot cope with over-exposure, although under-exposure can often be lifted with an editing programme. To cope with this experiment by pointing the camera at bright areas in the shot you plan to take, take half pressure and when the camera is ready, bring it back to the composition you want to record.

A comment ...for moderately to serious photography as practiced in this group you need a decent editing programme to compliment the work of the camera and present it.

Second comment ... the storage card which comes with the camera is unlikely to be big enough to enable you to work at maximum resolution and minimum compression. If you work this way, like we do most of the time, you need either a huge harddisc or a CD burner to store your photo files on to keep the computer clear for the job of handling your current efforts.

Ignore what the salesman tells you about how you can take 229 shots on the card ...OK you can ...take 229 bits of crap.
The true state is 29
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
11 Apr 2004 12:51PM
the true state is 29
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
11 Apr 2004 12:52PM
This shitty programme or censoring moderator is screwing up my messages
daringdaphne 17 82 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2004 7:42PM
if this is the reply site where is the question site Daring Daphne
daringdaphne 17 82 United Kingdom
11 Apr 2004 7:42PM
if this is the reply site where is the question site Daring Daphne
good_eye58 17 23
12 Apr 2004 4:39AM
Thanks to all of you who have so kindly responded. Presently my situation regarding getting the HP Photosmart 733 could change. I won't have the funds to get it ere I leave for NYC. A friend seems willing to loan it to me, but she seems a bit funny about it. I'm debating whether, if I do decline her offer, to either get a 2mp digital cam, skip it until I can get a 3mp, or just go with a film camera a Canon model with macro mode etc. I will keep you posted. Again, thanks very much.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.