Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Tips on selling pics

ihana 15 12 Switzerland
30 May 2004 10:17AM
I know this appeared in the latest PP but..

I have my website with my Latin America trip which is pretty popular (800,000 hits
per month) and I'm starting to get people emailing me and asking permission to use the pics. (the special photography bit is still 'in development'!!)
Today I got an email from a magazine in Russia who want to use a pic and have 'Russian language rights' on it for a payment of $150. The pic is nothing special, just this one:-
dog_pic
but they obviously like it!
Now, I've given some recent websites and a Brazilian school book publisher free use of some pics and this is the first offer of cash so I don't know if its a normal amount or request.
Any advice? I don't expect to get rich out of this, just a hobby.

Tom
ihana.com

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserDeleted 16 3.6k
30 May 2004 6:27PM
Tom,

You need to understand two other major things before you can price.

1) Size of use (Cover, DPS, Page, 1/2, 1/4 etc)
2) Circulation or print run

You might want to consult the NUJ rates as well, although you may have to make allowance for it being Russia and not the UK.

Just because you don't think the image is "special" many stock and editorial images are not fine art masterpieces - this is a rare image and deserves payment and recognition, they obviously have a need for it.

Please please please stop giving your work away for free - you are placing yourself in a corner, and reducing the livelyhood of working pros in doing so. There have been 2 or 3 threads recently on this - I advise you to read them......

Also expect others to make sure you are well informed on tax and the inland revenue...

Mike

darren2001 15 17
30 May 2004 9:10PM
Tom,

Totally agree with Mike here, why are you giving your pics away for free, did you get a free trip to latin america?, You could save yourself the hassell of ttying to sell your pics yourself by Syndicating them though a 3rd party (web based picture library), They will know the worth of your picture, they will of course take a fee for this but they will make more sales then you alone will.

Remember to report any monies from the sale of the pics and future pics to the inland revenue.

Cheers
Darren
ihana 15 12 Switzerland
1 Jun 2004 1:50PM
thanks for the advice guys.

now the magazine said they've decided not to run my pic and have used 'one from moscow'! can't compete with that!

you're right about the free pics thing, won't be giving any more away.

cheers,
tom
sabretalon 15 1.9k United Kingdom
1 Jun 2004 2:13PM
Giving some images away sounds good on the promise that you may get work from it but it very rarely happens that way, they take the images and then don't come back.

Take a look around some of the stock agencies online, just make sure you read their terms and conditions and any contractual details before signing up.

As to how much an image is worth! It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

As mentioned, you need to inform IR of all income for the sold images.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.