Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

To .com or to .co.uk?

paul_gaughan 17 62 Scotland
24 Aug 2005 11:37AM
I'm looking at setting up a web page and was just looking to gauge opinion on what you think would be better?

www.such&suchphotography.com or
www.such&suchphotography.co.uk?

Thanking you in advance

Paul
Westers 16 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
24 Aug 2005 11:41AM
com for me. It's what I instinctively type for any web page. Look at this site, it's "com".
chriswebb 17 893 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2005 11:48AM
Depends what you are going to do with it. If it is commercial with a mainly or entirely UK client base you should use .co.uk so people are aware they are dealing with a UK based business. Even for an international use I think it is probably still worthwhile to have a national identity. Not everybody hates us, believe it or not, and I think being British still gains a lot of respect in many parts of the world.
da_nige 17 1.2k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2005 12:03PM
com will come up sooner if someone googles the site name

Neil
spt 17 89 Scotland
24 Aug 2005 12:07PM
I'd agree with Chris. If I'm searching for a business to buy something from I'm likely to look at the .co.uk websites first because all of them will be UK based, whereas .com websites could be based anywhere (and even the Google search for UK websites only isn't 100% reliable). The top level domains are there for a reason - if everyone used .com it would be redundant.

[you'll also find that this site exists as .com and .co.uk]

Stephen
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2005 12:08PM
.com to many people indicates an American company. I've had several people think my business is based in the States when they go to the .com site. However, as a .co.uk is only about 1.99 a year why not (like me) buy both and point them to the same server. It also stops someone else using the same name.
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2005 12:17PM
I'd go for com too. It's the standard domain. I don't think people imagine com as solely american companies anymore. com signifies more of a world presence nowadays rather than any individual country. that's why you pay a slight premium for the .com suffix.

By choosing a country specific domain you effectively exclude everyone outside of the uk.

How many searches do you do and only ever get .com or .co.uk

Yet there are millions of domains such as .au .nz .fr .de etc. etc. that very rarely if ever make your search result because they are country specific.
24 Aug 2005 12:17PM
Many people do think of .com as being American, but I am sure that to many more it is just anonymous and could imply some dodgy company in some god-forsaken fly-blown hole nobody has ever heard of. What exactly is wrong with making sure everyone knows you are British?
24 Aug 2005 12:21PM
I often find .au sites from Google searches, as well plenty of .uk.

Obviously you are rarely going to get .fr or .de sites unless you search for something in French or German, and the same goes for other non-English speaking country's top level domains.
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2005 12:34PM
There is nothing wrong with letting everyone know you are British. That's not what the discussion is about in my opinion. It's about which domain has more of a world wide presence and therefore more likely to attract a greater number of visitors.

If it's a British based company that only caters for the British population then .com is the obvious one to go for. If however, as in this case it's for showcasing photography then I assume you wouldn't want to restrict your audience to UK only. And as someone above said, you can also buy the uk domain for 1.99 so why not have both

Even BIPP has a .com domain.
Skier 18 203 China
24 Aug 2005 12:51PM
.co.uk is generally cheaper . . . . .

Walking away

Squeak, squeak
User_Removed 16 279
24 Aug 2005 12:52PM

Quote:Many people do think of .com as being American, but I am sure that to many more it is just anonymous and could imply some dodgy company in some god-forsaken fly-blown hole nobody has ever heard of. What exactly is wrong with making sure everyone knows you are British?

So, there aren't any dodgy .co.uk sites? This smacks of xenophobia apart from being bad business.

As far as advice, buy both domains, use dot com and redirect the .co.uk site to it. If you can afford it, register .net and .biz too.

There's a big market and big world out there, being a British photographer is irrelevant and who cares? If you're a service too then it's your offline marketing and advertising that gets you serious business not the net (and yes, I'm bracing myself for someone to dispute this).
gus 17 156 England
24 Aug 2005 12:53PM
I have both .com and .co.uk and it is amazing how many junk emails get directed at the .com rather than the .co.uk the other advanage of the .co.uk is that you can withhold your personal details from the register which you cannot do with the .com

Gus
wing 17 456 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2005 1:13PM
Paul
You may want to buy a U.K specific domain name, as there will soon "around the middle of 2007" be a very steep increase in the price of generic-Top Level Domain names g-TLD's, such as the .com's or .net's.

Many hosting companies have been slashing the prices of 'Top Level Domains', or including them in 'hard to resist' packages, in order to drag the unwary customer into signing up to g-TLD's, in the hope they will stick with the domain name after the price increase.

ICANN "Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers " is lifting restrictions on VeriSign's pricing of '.net' domain names in January 2007. It is expected that the '.com's and others will follow on with the price increases.

Paul
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2005 3:25PM
.co.uk for me,

us,

whatever..

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.