Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

To HDR or not to HDR. That is the question.

Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2010 7:49PM
There seem to be a few misreadings going on here. Firstly I don't think Kot was really implying that he disapproved of the process Anna (if you read the first comment) Smile. Secondly Ross it does say "hdr" in the search tags.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
14 Feb 2010 7:54PM

Quote:According to him it's a great image but if it was processed a certain way it is no longer a great image.

Perfectly acceptable.
Having once commented and "voted" on an image because of the skill in composition & timing I subsequently learned it was in fact a montage, so negating my comments.
rossd 18 1.1k England
14 Feb 2010 7:58PM
Apologies; 'hdr' is in the search tag (I was looking for info provided by the tog himself)

But to repeat, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Also would be nice to hear from the other two persons involved, namely longjohn (the tog) and grahamgraham who made the original comment!
Fishnet 17 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2010 8:02PM
Maybe we are coming at things from a different angle, I couldn't careless how someone achieved their final, fantastic image, I am just interested in the final, fantastic image.

If I see a photo that I think is fabulous, I'm not going to change my opinion of it just because they used HDR, or fiddled with it in Photoshop, it's all part of the digital image making process as far as I'm concerned.
14 Feb 2010 8:04PM
Scutter, I mean Kot said HDR & PS 'are cheating, no doubt' what I don't understand is what exactly they are cheating or how it is cheating?
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Feb 2010 8:21PM

Quote:This is the image (Lichfield cathedral)

Hmmm....

( Now - is that an HDR image... or not. Y'know... I really am in two minds over this. )

Grin
Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2010 8:21PM
Anna. Unless I'm missing the point of this thread Smile Kot is saying the same as you below is part of his original post................

Quote:
Well, I'm amazed. I always thought the final artistic effect is the most important. Technical issues or workshop are only the way to achieve such effect. There are pros and cons of using HDR software, there are pros and cons of switching to digital imaging (we surely can shoot photos using film cameras or even pinhole cameras) but finally we end up with image. The viewer is to judge if our image works and if we did good job. And in my opinion it has nothing to do with gear and software used (if it was used properly of course).
Wondering what you think. Is "HDR poor & mischievous substitute"?

if its any help I don't think it can be construed as cheating either - done badly it could be bad taste though Smile
Kot 12 7 1 Poland
14 Feb 2010 8:29PM
Anna, I used word "cheat" after Adam. Now I know I should have used word "falsify". I said the same about photography. And I can say that about any other form of visual art. Each creative act (no matter - painting, shooting photographs, whatever) consist of choosing fragments of reality, arranging and altering them to get final image which is far from reality itself.
Kot 12 7 1 Poland
14 Feb 2010 8:40PM
I simply thought that people who can't stand HDR images are concerned about truth in the image. So I tried to point out that even traditional photography is not able to show reality as it is.
But I have slight feeling they are about traditional photography workshop - metering the light, calculating aperture stops... blood, sweat and tears.
sut68 17 2.0k 77 England
14 Feb 2010 9:17PM
[pisstakemode]HDR??? Image Blending??? ND Grads??? Black & White??? All alchemy/witchcraft if you ask me and all perpetrators should be burnt at the stake Wink

'Straight' [single] colour shots are the way forward, I should know, taken enough of them myself in the past ... they are a true representation of what the camera can record ... bring on the blown skies and/or dark foregrounds I say Grin [/pisstakemode]
G6DDS 12 231 Scotland
14 Feb 2010 9:21PM

Quote:Maybe we are coming at things from a different angle, I couldn't careless how someone achieved their final, fantastic image, I am just interested in the final, fantastic image.

If I see a photo that I think is fabulous, I'm not going to change my opinion of it just because they used HDR, or fiddled with it in Photoshop, it's all part of the digital image making process as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with this 100%
sut68 17 2.0k 77 England
14 Feb 2010 9:46PM
At the end of the day, if a shot's well done and looks natural then what's the problem how it was achieved? There's plenty of examples of badly done shots on here, should we give them bonus points because they aren't 'manipulated'???

Because someone is adept at HDR, exposure blending or using grads doesn't make them any better/worse than the next person, the individual who left that comment needs to either accept or move on.

Look at the image and study it. Like magic, if you can't tell how it's been done ... JOB DONE!!!
14 Feb 2010 10:50PM
Scutter, I think you were confused about what I was trying to say, but no matter lol

Personally I think the photo in question is a wonderful photo, so what if it's HDR.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
15 Feb 2010 9:51AM
Must admit that when I do HDR talks I, include a section on "how others use HDR" - the subtext is "HDR disasters" and it gets more gasps than any other section.

In one session, it was noted from the audience that the images were proably what the photographer intended to do. Fair point, sure we all like to push the limits when trying a new toy. I made very sci-fi looking images when I first discovered Curves - make a "W" shaped curve and see what I mean

Most common HDR faults are too much saturation, too much "strength" so you get very strange halos around things and flat images - a risk with HDR as when you make every tone "visible" (i.e. get rid of the blacks and whites) you end up with a midtone-bland shot.
smackmyfish 11 82
15 Feb 2010 10:33AM
My Mum does HDR. The tablets made her grow a moustache and talk like a builder and she still can't take a good photo. So a big thumbs down from me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.