Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

To UV or not to UV

dragarth 17 247 1 Scotland
23 Jan 2008 6:06PM
Have to say I fitted them on my lenses for protection. I did use decent quality ones band noticed no loss of quality and have only had flair issues once and I took off the filter for the shot and then replaced it.
better to junk a filter costing a few quid that an expensive lens.

Sean
stevemc 14 49 England
23 Jan 2008 9:05PM
Not fitted to any of my lensSmile
If you want to protect the lens put the lens cap on! Smile Smile Smile
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
23 Jan 2008 10:31PM

Quote:If you want to protect the lens put the lens cap on!

Sometimes though its hard taking pictures with the cap on it at the same time though Wink

Many times I'm down low on a beach with the salt spray coming in, easier to clean a UV than the lens.

I think its fun how people seem to hate them or live by the UV. Each to their own...

Tommy
Ellie527 14 3 England
29 Jan 2008 12:17PM
I use UV filters on all my lenses, it doesn't seem to hurt the pictures. I take them off if the sun's at an angle that caused flare. I go near the sea quite often too, prefer to need to clean a filter than a lens.
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
29 Jan 2008 2:07PM
As long as you use decent filters (I use the hoya pro1 range), you won't notice any difference. I have half a dozen L lenses and keep a UV on each of them, the cheapest being about 800 worth and I can't tell any difference between shots with / without the filters.
Of course, if you buy a 5.99 one out of a dealers junk bin then you'll see a marked difference in quality.

Also, as long as you keep them clean you'll not have problems with flare either.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
29 Jan 2008 2:10PM
Decent filter on a decent lens is a must. I use B+W MRC on all of my SLR lenses - and my bridge camera and camcorder too!
pjnr56 14 2 United States
29 Jan 2008 4:43PM
I guess I am "old school" as well. Had a UV or skylight filter on my old Yashica FX2 years ago and then on my newer Nikon n65 and now also on the lenses for my Nikon D50. I am not a professional and the peace of mind these filters give me is worth any sacrifice in picture quality (if any?).
Hugeknot 16 1.2k 2 Iceland
29 Jan 2008 6:29PM
Never used a UV, but once I dropped an Olympus OM10 with a sigma attached, The lens had a Polariser which broke the fall... unfortunately the polariser was worth more than the lens.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.