Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Tog info near Edinburgh

Sezz 15 619 15 England
12 May 2009 11:10PM
I will be staying near Edinburgh in 10 days time, will have a few days to spare so I'm asking if anyone knows of some locations that are a 'must do' within an hours drive or so of the city. Of course the castle will be on the top of my list Smile closely followed by a drive to Lindisfarne - any other ideas guys, thanks in advance..

Sarah x
colin 16 697 5 Scotland
12 May 2009 11:31PM
Hi Sarah, an hour or so will take in pretty much most of the central belt of Scotland. If you are looking for architecture, Edinburgh hAs loads of options - castle, monuments, museums, tenements/rooftops, churches, graveyards, the lot. A walk up Arthur's Seat will give you some great all round vista's of the area, although it can get quite blustery at the top. An easier walk is up Calton Hill with some nice views along Princes Street and across the city.Don't forget the Scottish Parliament, Holyrood Palace and also Salisbury Crags.
Glasgow is only an hour from Edinburgh and also has some great architecture, cathedral, museums, parks, etc. It might not have a castle, but still has some worthy areas - the Clydeside, Imax, Science Centre, etc.
Stirling is also less than an hour from Edinburgh - with Stirling Castle and also the Wallace Monument - some great views from up there. There's a safari park not too far from Stirling and then a few miles more takes you into the beautiful Trossachs and the lochs, Lomond, Vennechar, Katrine, Ard, Chon - there are loads. So much to see in such a short distance.
Have a great time. I just hope the weather is kind.
Best regards
Colin

PS My p/f has shots of most of these areas, or if I don't have them someone will Smile
Sezz 15 619 15 England
12 May 2009 11:35PM
Thank you so much Colin, some great ideas there, like the sound of Holyrood Palace, Stirling Castle and Wallace Monument + all the architecture! Quite fancy the Lochs too for some landscapes, will check out your PF Smile

S x
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
13 May 2009 2:23AM
Sezz if your over Glasgow way I can point you some nice spots too..

Check out the Falkirk Wheel too, not too far from Edinburgh and photo friendly Wink
Sezz 15 619 15 England
13 May 2009 8:29AM
Thanks Tommy - I've added the wheel to my list Smile

Sarah x

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.