Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

TomTom Sat. Nav.

MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
25 Mar 2011 4:27PM
Hi...the basic Tomtom...Tomtom ONE...I've been useing for some 3 years packed up so i bought a new one...again the cheapest, Tomtom START. 80.
I only listen to the instructions so I don't need anything special, but I'm not happy with this.
....the voice is scratchy, sometimes I cannot make out what it says and occasionaly makes comments that are not applicable,
Every now and again it makes a series of high pitched "beeps"....no idea what these are but they're very off putting.

I may be able to return it...but what's the alternative ?...'gotta have something I can get lost on the motorway.
....I see some drivers with a map in one hand, but it's not for me Smile
Suggestions appreciated...thanks....Mike.
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2011 4:32PM
I've never had problems with the voice on TomTom so it is possible you have a duff one.

The Garmin Nuvi range are good, I recently bought one of the widescreen models with built in traffic information.

Ian
gaelldew 13 377 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2011 5:08PM
Nowt wrong using a map, or learning the geography of the British Isles. Grin
rhody 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2011 6:29PM
I get told what to do indoors by a soft but firm female voice - so no difference to having a soft, but firm firm female voice telling me where to go in the car Wink
lawbert 14 1.8k 15 England
25 Mar 2011 6:41PM
Hello Mike

I wanted a phone and a Satnav and internet, email etc all in one device so I got an HTC Desire HD on contract which uses google maps...which are pretty much spot on.

Its an idea to look at opposed to a dedicated sat nav.
absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2011 7:49PM
The voice on the Tom Tom in our car is clear enough but the way it says road numbers is driving me up the wall. A6185 comes out as "A six thousand one hundred and eighty five" instead of "A six one eight five". By the time I've registered what it's on about I've lost the thread. The display is really good but I'd rather listen to the instructions on a Garmin Nuvi.
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
25 Mar 2011 9:28PM
The beeps are speeding warnings...
MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
25 Mar 2011 11:58PM
...thanks everyone...most helpfull :
cheers....Mike
Tandberg 18 1.2k 2 England
26 Mar 2011 9:16AM
I have had the tom tom one for years
Got cartman of south park and darth vadar voices on it, just to add that something different, yeah the bleeps are probably speed cam warnings, just got them put on mine at 9.99 reduced from 39.99 annoying thing was just bought a Snooper my speed aura unit gps that gives all warning of cameras and speed on every road then t t come up with that offer ;-(
Its a small unobtrusive unit and i like it and its been faultless, suppose yours must have been used a lot to pack up

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.