50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Tonights Colin Prior webcast

steveb 16 343 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2009 8:23PM
First, many thanks to ePHOTOzine for linking up with Apple and notifying us of this.

I was glued to my screen for the last hour, I found the question section at the end very interesting. I had one question chosen, asking Colin how he got over the language and literacy complications of requesting model release forms for people in his pictures. Picture libraries always request one for images showing people. He never gained them, but would ask his driver who could speak the local language to ask permission, and note that the agreement took place.

What did anyone else watching it make of it?
gary900r 17 474 England
29 Jan 2009 8:49PM
Missed the first few minutes but found it was well worth watching.
landandlight 15 46 Scotland
29 Jan 2009 8:56PM
I thought I was very inspirational, well chuffed he answered my question!
Franticsmurf 18 838 Wales
29 Jan 2009 9:19PM
I'd also like to thank ePHOTOzine for the opportunity to listen to one of my favourite photographers. Some interesting comments, especially on the merits of digital and film.

Dave
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
29 Jan 2009 9:44PM

Quote: Some interesting comments, especially on the merits of digital and film.

Dave

Do tell.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2009 10:19PM
From what I understood he still thought that for lens properties the larger film camera had an advantage, and for working in remote locations then film has the advantage of not being limitted to batteries etc.

I thought it was an interesting talk so thanks to EPz but I am not certain it did anything for the Apple product. Time to scour Ebay for that large format film camera.

All you need is a carbon fibre tripod, two lenses and a decent film body. Oh and a bit of ability Smile But that is not fair, you have to take it in context with his comments on how to approach photography and what he wants to do.

It was well worth listening to for his advice on becoming a professional landscape/travel photographer too.
BigCol 19 1.8k 1 Scotland
29 Jan 2009 10:37PM
I enjoyed the talk, for the most part, but found colin's answer to most of the questions to be rambling almost verging at times on the incoherant!
I've always been an admirer of colin's work and still am but I should have remembered from the last time I saw him speak that he's not the worlds greatest orator. A man with a great passion for what he does and truly inspirational though.
The one thing it has done though is to emphasize the point that I really should take the linhof with me in march when I head to glencoe for a week.
fauxtography 15 6.6k 36
29 Jan 2009 10:43PM

Quote:The one thing it has done though is to emphasize the point that I really should take the linhof with me in march when I head to glencoe for a week.

Bring it this weekend for the Chinese New Year meet Wink
wasper 15 533 1 Ireland
29 Jan 2009 11:01PM
I only saw the first 5 minutes. I was really enjoying it. But connection got lost & I gave up after 30 minutes. Thank BT Ireland for the so called broadband & that doesn't come cheaply as well.
29 Jan 2009 11:01PM
Nab, but I will put my xpan in though. Just looking for some inspiration on the web.
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
29 Jan 2009 11:34PM
I tried to watch it, but had 5 mins of no sound (speakers all work, quicktime's own test said they were working fine, but nothing doing Sad ) So I gave up.
steveb 16 343 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2009 12:10AM
My sound and video was ok, although a few times Colin's speech got a little out of sync.
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
30 Jan 2009 12:14AM
Missed it... :-(
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
30 Jan 2009 7:34AM
Me too. Anyone know if it's archived anywhere?
30 Jan 2009 9:21AM

Quote:a few times Colin's speech got a little out of sync.
That was probably more to do with jet lag and copious amounts of duty free scotch! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.