Save 10% On Used Camera Equipment & Lenses From CameraWorld! Use ePHOTO at checkout.

Too small??

gashead 12 50 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2019 7:05PM
Hi, Ive sent a load of photos to a friend which I took at an event. I edited most of the photos on Elements, many I cropped. My friend is trying to load the photos on a site but many are not loading . The only thing that stands out is they are only 4kb, as opposed to the loaded ones that are 4-6000kb. Is this because I cropped the photos? and is there away around this problem to enable us to load all the photos. Thankyou , Ive used this forum whenever Ive had issues and you always come up with the answers.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Aug 2019 8:15PM
4kb is pretty small for a photo by today's standards. If you are saving them as JPEGs then use less compression on them (on photoshop there is a "quality" slider that increases or decreases the size of the photo. Not sure if there is the same in Elements). Usually the slider goes from 1 to 12.

Also there is an option to "save for web" on photoshop but again i have not used elements so not sure if it has it also.

The photos may be too small physically to see if they are only 4kb or the site may require the photos to be a minimum size.
Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
6 Aug 2019 9:06PM
Are you sure you mean 4Kb as this is so small it is barely visible. A photo of around 1 cm square is about 35Kb. The camera you are using is capable of producing photos in the region of 35Mb. Cropping the photos reduces the actual size - like cutting the borders from a piece of paper, and I cannot believe that you cropped so much that you were only left with 4kb from 35Mb. I suspect you are repeatedly saving your images as Jpegs which is reducing the size in terms of Kb/Mb every time you save. Save as Tiffs until you have made the final changes - cropping etc - and then and only then save a copy as a Jpeg so that you have the original large file to return to.

BTW - if you wish to send photos by email then you can send large photos with We Transfer https://wetransfer.com/ which is a free transfer.
it sounds like you have uploaded the preview thumbnails rather than the images, when you view them in programs such as elements, they create small snapshots on the viewer, in the save settings on the program, you should be able to see where the cropped versions are

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.