Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Top 10 albums?

mdpontin 18 6.0k Scotland
19 Oct 2006 12:36PM

Quote:Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love. An old soul in a young body. The new Ella Fitzgerald.

Agreed, that's a lovely soulful album. Her new one, Half the perfect world, is every bit as good too.
User_Removed 17 4.9k England
19 Oct 2006 12:58PM

Quote:Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love. An old soul in a young body. The new Ella Fitzgerald.

If anyone has a copy of her singing Lonnie Donigan's Rock Island Line, at the East coast Jazz Festival. East Coast US I'd imagine. Caught it on the TV years ago. She sang it, backed by Legend ??? on a bass guitar. magical. But I was never able to trace it. It may not have been recorded.
But it was on TV, so it must be out there somewhere. I've got 'Dreamland' her first CD
Col
19 Oct 2006 2:14PM
I've now ordered all Madeleine Peyroux's CDs.
Should be a wealth warning on EPz
Reading Forums can be dangerous to your Wallet
graceland 17 2.6k 2 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2006 3:30PM
1/Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis
2/Aloha From Hawaii
3/Elvis Rock N Roll No 1
4/Madison Sq Garden Elvis
5/Elvis In Concert
Non Elvis
6 /Born In USA
7/ Halley Westernera Pure
8 Kathrine Jenkins Living a Dream

Ok an Elvis ones
ade33 16 32
20 Oct 2006 8:30AM

Quote:I've now ordered all Madeleine Peyroux's CDs.
Should be a wealth warning on EPz
Reading Forums can be dangerous to your Wallet

Col I apologise if I am in any way responsible for this expenditure. Smile Though I don't think you'll have any regrets.

Get yourself in a darkened room with a glass of something and it's like she's there with ya..... (giving meself goosebumps now)

She plays the marvellous Brighton Dome in December an' I'm already worked up for it. Next on my list (Kate Rusby) played her socks off there a few weeks ago, fab stuff.
20 Oct 2006 9:06AM
Yep Ade, I noticed she was touring Nov/Dec, she's in York in Nov. Might grab a couple tickets. Played Dreamland Last night...... better than TV. Smile
Col
Geoffphoto 16 13.5k United Kingdom
20 Oct 2006 9:09AM

Quote:Next on my list (Kate Rusby) played her socks off there a few weeks ago, fab stuff.

Ah Kate - the Angel from Barnsley - I had to photograph her in concert a few years ago and she was wonderful - her albums are good but a little bit samey, the best one to get IMHO is " Sleepless" - wonderful songs including The Cobblers Daughter.
ade33 16 32
21 Oct 2006 10:27AM
Col

Sounds like a tough choice mate - Peyroux / TV? Peyroux / TV? Errrr, let me think........ Smile

Geoff

Quote:Kate - the Angel from Barnsley

She is indeed an angel, and was on top form. Not been to many gigs where the turn brings on a colliery brass band halfway through!
21 Oct 2006 10:45AM
Ade
Emailed Madeleine Peyroux's record label. Got a reply that she had never recorded Rock Island Line. If a recording existed it'd be a jazz fest compilation. I'd suggested she should record it. The reply was signed CB..lol he gets everywhere.
Had a great kip listening to Dr. John's 'Anutha Zone' Smile
Snapper_T 18 867 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2006 2:46PM
No particular order:

Art of noise - The seduction of Claud DeBussy
Roni Size - New forms
Morcheba - Big Calm
Morcheba - Who can you trust
Goldie - Timeless
Zero 7 - When it Falls
Portishead - Dummies
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Massive Attack - Protection
Damien Marley - Welcome to Jamrock
Nu Yorican soul - Nu Yorican Soul
redhed17 16 881 England
21 Oct 2006 9:18PM
It was interesting putting this list together. I had 19 I had to whittle down to 10. Looking at the list, I can't believe how old some of them are, though not as old as some here.Wink There's been loads of albums over the years, but these I keep listening to, and have hardly any dud songs that I have to skip past.

So here are my top 10 albums, in no particular order, just to be part of the thread. Wink

1.Soul Mining – The The
2.Kilimanjaro – The Teardrop Explodes
3.Reading, Writing and Arithmetic – The Sundays
4.Architecture and Morality – OMD
5.You Can’t Hide Your Love Forever – Orange Juice
6.Brotherhood – New Order
7.Boat to Bolivia – Martin Stephenson & the Daintees
8.Reverberation – Echo & the Bunnymen
9.Colourbox – Colourbox
10.Heaven or Las Vegas – Cocteau Twins
theredbaron 15 394 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2006 3:01PM
Are we judging by the photography on the album cover or the music? Chris Brown (Herts)
skeletor 18 1.7k England
25 Oct 2006 3:47PM
Just the music.

12" Album sleeves would be an interesting idea for us olduns though. CDs don't have quite the same magic :-(

Steve
Pete 21 18.8k 97 England
25 Oct 2006 3:52PM

Quote:CDs don't have quite the same magic :-(

They have much more magic than iTunes downloads!
skeletor 18 1.7k England
25 Oct 2006 4:52PM

Quote:They have much more magic than iTunes downloads!

Fair point!

Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.