Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Top content & google analytics

mikg 15 United Kingdom
5 Mar 2012 4:21PM
Hi all,

Can anyone explain why my foliopic top content visitor count is so different from my google analytics visitor count?

Mik
THIRDEYE 14 35 United Kingdom
5 Mar 2012 7:12PM
Hi Mik,

Strange that you ask that question as I was wondering the same thing!

Yesterday I had 1098 viewings showing on my foliopic top content page. However this has not been reflected by google analytics!

So I will be watching with interest on the feedback to your question.

Regards.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
5 Mar 2012 7:18PM
I've asked the IT guys to comment. They should get back to you shortly.
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2012 10:15AM
If I remember rightly every time you access your pf and refresh pages whilst updating content it adds these as views on your foliopic count, but google analytics is possibly from outside sources so only counts views that wasn't made by yourself.
Maybe wrong but I'm sure I had this when I was using foliopic Grin
779HOB 9 1.2k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2012 10:19AM

Quote:If I remember rightly every time you access your pf and refresh pages whilst updating content it adds these as views on your foliopic count,

I would have thought that if you were logged in as an admin it wouldn't count these views.
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2012 10:29AM

Quote:If I remember rightly every time you access your pf and refresh pages whilst updating content it adds these as views on your foliopic count,

I would have thought that if you were logged in as an admin it wouldn't count these views.

Once again it was a while ago when I had the foliopic but I think it was when you made an update then checked the page as a view to see if what you had done looked right.
As I said above may be wrong but I had the same differences between my foliopic views and google and noticed the counter rising everytime I made changes then viewed the page.
779HOB 9 1.2k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2012 10:50AM
I don't use Foliopic but on the template site I do use if you are logged in as an admin the stats aren't recorded, if you click though from the admin pages - if you open another tab to view the changes then that is recorded as a view yes. I normally go through the admin page.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2012 11:03AM
Firstly, foliopic records pageviews, not visitors. A visitor is an person who visits you website. This user may generate a number of page views. A pageview is when someone visits any single page on your site. So, visitors make pageviews.

Foliopic's pageviews stats are generated through a very very basic code. This code registers a pageview everytime a page is requested. This includes page refreshes and pings.

Google's pageviews stats should be the same, however because their code is javascript and I imagine they have a few other considerations they won't ever really match up. Javascript often times isn't executed by robots/machines and google may/may not be registering page refreshes. So, in other words, there are alot of factors which will make these 2 stats different. It's the case with pretty much any stat package comparison.

We would also recommend Google analytics as its a pretty reputable and widely used system. However, we offer our basic stats as well for comparison.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.