"TOUGH" compact

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
21 Jun 2012 6:28PM
looking for a camera for my daughter for holidays, been looking at the tough, underwater, compacts. They seem interesting and could be something which I can try use as well....

The two which look good are :
Fuji Finepix XP150
Olympus TG-620 (820 bit expensive for her)

Has anyone had experience with these or any pointers which I should look out for?

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 Jun 2012 7:01PM
I bought the cheaper Olympus Tough version for my children (Scouts). The camera is a bit slow on the shutter, but has survived camps, survival night, water rafting, rock climbing, jumping from rocks into lakes while filming etc. Pictures are ok and the Olympus TG-620 should be even better.
Jasper87 Plus
10 2.4k 158 England
21 Jun 2012 7:12PM
Had the same trouble finding a suitable underwater camera for our daughter and she's now got a Nikon Coolpix AW100 - 217 on Amazon so it may be in the too expensive bracket. She says it's "awesome", especially underwater. Major problem with virtually all the underwater compacts is the GPS system which can't be switched off and they drain the battery whilst hunting for satellites.. A slight annoyance with the AW100 is the shuffle feature on reviewing images which is somewhat delicate and can't be switched off either. Good luck.
22 Jun 2012 7:11AM
@ WhiteRose1 - Thanks for tip GPS
Andy80F 17 328 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2012 10:49AM
Bought Tough 820 for my wife for use outdoors (off-road running) in all weathers and whilst it does have the annoying lag of most compacts its otherwise bomb proof, its lain out over night in the rain (when camping and lost in the dark) and been in snow, mud and sweaty hands. Only criticism is battery life which requires having to carry a spare on most occasions but these are cheap form many sellers. Would recommend the tough line of cameras but factor in a spare battery.

Andy
22 Jun 2012 8:16PM
Thanks Andy, 820 looks like a good choice, the extra battery is a good idea.
25 Jun 2012 7:59AM
I've got an older Fuji XP30 and the GPS can be turned off to prolong battery life. However image quality is not that excellent, but Ive not got much to compare it to, in terms of underwater cameras. Against "normal" compact cameras the IQ is noticeably not as good, not poor or bad but "acceptable" rather than "great". If you shop around you should be able to pick up the XP10 or XP20 for under 100 now.
The Canon and Panasonic underwater P&S usually come out top of group tests in magazines and on the internet, but they are both the wrong side of 200.
What's your budget?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.