Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Transit of Venus Photographs

digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2012 1:51PM
On one of the previous occasions this happened Captain Cook sailed to Tahiti to take part in an 'observation' which helped determine the distance from the earth to the sun. That knowledge has led to all sorts of other facts being calculated, such as the size of the solar system.

It may look like a black speck crossing the sun, but in terms of importance it's more like a black bowling ball. Smile
joolsb 17 27.1k 38 Switzerland
8 Jun 2012 9:07AM

Quote:It may look like a black speck crossing the sun, but in terms of importance it's more like a black bowling ball.

I wasn't doubting the scientific significance but for the average guy in the street it's not really as spectacular as they were trying to say it was on the telly. An eclipse (whether lunar or solar) or even a planetary conjunction is a lot more interesting to see...
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2012 9:11AM
Agreed Smile

When I see black specks I normally assume I've just had too much to drink. Grin
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Jun 2012 9:38AM
Up here in Scotland, just seeing the sun is a pretty spectacular occasion worthy of a TV documentary or two.
11 Jun 2012 2:47PM
transit-of-venus.jpg
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2012 3:34PM
Brilliant ginluva Smile

Quote:I wasn't doubting the scientific significance but for the average guy in the street it's not really as spectacular as they were trying to say it was on the telly. An eclipse (whether lunar or solar) or even a planetary conjunction is a lot more interesting to see...

I'd agree with you there, I didn't get up for it.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Jun 2012 8:00PM
Are you sure that Transit isn't a Bedford?

Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.