Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Travel photographer should I sell my 70-200 f.2.8 is?

20 Apr 2017 2:10AM
I currently own:
Canon 60d (will eventually buy canon 6d in the next year)
70-200 2.8L mm is USM
24-70 2.8L mm
50 mm 1.8 prime

The reason I'm unsure is because the lens is very heavy but I was shocked at how sharp the pictures are. (I bought this lens in December after using the ef-s 18-135 for a few years) I bought the 24-70mm in the past month and compared to the telephoto I'm disappointed with the sharpness of the photos I'm taking and lack of IS but still love the lens. I want to sell the telephoto because I want to break my way into travel/landscape and I need a used car and selling that lens would give me a large chunk of the money I need...otherwise I'd keep to have a better understanding of it for at least some span of time. I like the telephoto but because I want to travel I'm assuming I'll want to pack lighter but because I could not afford the 24-70 is II I feel it's not as sharp and high quality as the telephoto. :/.. im looking for insight and I'm also looking for travel camera bag recommendations, for ultra wide angle lens recommendations for the next few years after I get used to what I have lens wise. Basically what gear should I carry? What should I carry it in and will I be at a loss if I sell the telephoto? It's hard to judge since I'm not currently traveling and aquiring what i need to travel.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Android 10 11 England
20 Apr 2017 9:36AM
Hi, Mille829,

Bit of a dilemma for you, this. My gut tells me to keep the lens, and for two reasons.
Firstly, I think you will miss the versatility, especially for travel photography. Secondy, I fear you might be disappointed with the return if you sell. Photography can be a cash-hungry monster and I think that if you part with your lens now you might struggle to afford a replacement in the future. You have a cracking lens in your arsenal, so enjoy it and make it work for you even if it means putting up with coach travel for a bit!
Good luck,
Andrew.
20 Apr 2017 10:54AM
Hi.

I agree with the above. Keep the lens. Good glass is better than a good camera.

Having said that I have a Sigma 70-200 Non OS and have hardly used. I bought a 1.4x to go with it and was unimpressed with the results with it attached but i can't afford to sell the lens and buy Canon. Second hand lenses are selling out fast in most places probably due to the escalating price of new lenses.
Chris_L 3 4.0k United Kingdom
20 Apr 2017 10:57AM

Quote:the lens is very heavy but I was shocked at how sharp the pictures are

It's an exceptionally good lens you'd be mad to sell it, it will help you get closer to things when it's physically impossible. It can give you stunning portraits at the classic focal lengths of 85 and 135.

I think at some point in the future you would regret that you sold it.
saltireblue Plus
7 7.1k 33 Norway
20 Apr 2017 11:22AM

Quote:
Quote:the lens is very heavy but I was shocked at how sharp the pictures are

It's an exceptionally good lens you'd be mad to sell it, it will help you get closer to things when it's physically impossible. It can give you stunning portraits at the classic focal lengths of 85 and 135.

I think at some point in the future you would regret that you sold it.

I agree with Chris. It's the best lens I have ever owned, and the one lens I wouldn't want to be without, if I was still with Canon.
20 Apr 2017 11:32AM
However good the lens, it won't be a lot of use if it's so heavy that you don't want to carry it with you!

Many photographers buy smaller and lighter versions of their favourite lenses for walkabout.
banehawi Plus
13 1.6k 3722 Canada
20 Apr 2017 1:09PM
I sold mine and got the 70-200mm f/4L IS for the same reason. Very light in comparison, much smaller, and just as sharp.
Dave_Canon 11 1.2k United Kingdom
20 Apr 2017 3:55PM
I have this lens which I use for sport and nature photography. It is heavy and I have a back problem so tend to only take when I know I will use it. However, I would never want to part with it because the quality is so good. The f2.8 is a great advantage and worth the extra weight. I would keep it if I were you.

Dave
20 Apr 2017 5:24PM
Remember that, with lenses from good manufacturers, the modest aperture optics are every bit as sharp as the wider-aperture versions.
StrayCat Plus
13 18.5k 3 Canada
20 Apr 2017 6:56PM
And above all, a car that would be half as sharp as that lens would cost a fortune.Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.