Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Travelling - kit dilemmas

KatieR 17 6.2k 6
5 Aug 2008 9:48AM
I'm planning my first holiday abroad for many years. It's exciting Smile but there's lots to think about.

The idea is to visit Venice, Florence and Rome for a few days each. It'll be my first time in Italy and I anticipate lots of beautiful sights calling out for a photo...

...but I don't think I can carry my 30D and 17-40mm. It's just too heavy and bulky to hike around around with the rest of my clothes and stuff. I'll be travelling by train (to get there and to get around) so I need to be canny about what I take. I figure It's probably better to take something less conspicuous than a big DSLR for security, too.

I do have an Ixus - it's nice and small, but I'm not sure it's really adequate. Anyway, my partner will be taking his.

Is it crazy to consider a smaller DSLR and cheap all-in-one lens or do I look seriously at a bridge camera?

I know it's an old question, I'm just trying to make sure I've considered all the latest possibilities!

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks Smile
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
5 Aug 2008 9:56AM
I don't see why you can't take your 30D, you don't have to take masses of kit in a big bag, just the camera and standard zoom if you're comfortable with that. I wouldn't be overly concerned about security and DSLR's being conspicuous - they are so ubiquitous now that anyone using one doesn't stand out one bit.

Why go on a great trip and leave your best camera at home?
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
5 Aug 2008 10:02AM
Yep, that's the question I am asking myself, Steve.

I just know how knackered I get from carrying a pack, so I'm trying to be sensible.
Randle 15 119 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2008 10:03AM
Take the Dslr if you dont you will regret it!
I take a shoulder bag that my 20d will fit into so I only need to have my camera on show when I need it, but you will see many
beautiful things that it will be used all the time. take plent of cf cards as you will fill them as you have picked 3 fantastic places to visit.
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2008 10:11AM
Speaking as someone who took a DSLR, 6 lenses including a sigma 100-300 and both a tripod and monopod with me on a trip to Japan, Australia and Hong Kong, I say pack it up and get used to the extra exercise.

Nothing worse than spending all that money on a holiday and not being able to get the shot you want imho.

Having been fortunate enough to go to all 3 cities you mention, I would have to say I would not even consider going without a tripod as there are some excellent twilight/night shot opportunities.

Neil
jimthistle73 17 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2008 10:28AM
Similar dilemma here Katie - off to South Africa in October. I too had considered buying something like a Nikon D60 (small and light!) and a do it all lens like a Tamron super (duper) zoom.

My reasoning is, well I can sell both when I get back..... Just need to raise the cash to buy them both first Wink

I'd be too concerned about issues like shutter lag and slow start up to take either a compact or a bridge camera - as has been said, these are once in a lifetime photo ops.

Enjoy your hols anyhoo!
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
5 Aug 2008 10:57AM
Oh my Lord! Someone mentioned a tripod! Noooooo!

I could definitely do with going down the gym, but I'm not sure where I can buy extra arms Wink
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2008 11:05AM
Katie I have been to Venice and Rome, I took,

300D or 40D
10-20 Sigma
17-40 Canon
55-200 Sigma

The 10-20 and 17-40 did the majority of the work, the 55-200 well it costs not a lot and weighs not a lot Smile

Get your partner to cary it Smile

I stuck mine in a small cheep looking backpack I got from Photography Monthly, so it does not look too expensive. Also as you live in or around London, so I would have said the security issue was no different. Also as Steve says there are loads of cameras all around you.

As for cloths etc, there are a variety of places in Rome, like the Railway station, where you can dump your clothes. The Hotels were also very good for letting us keep bags there, even after we checked out.

Venice St Marks square has a place where you can dump bags. Oh and while you are there get a travel card for the Vapareto (it can also get you back to the airport by Bus) and nick across to the island with St Georges church in it, its much quiter and the views towards St Marks Square is good. Get out to the outer Island like Burano where the colourfull houses are a delight and it is quiter.

I found it great to get out at about 6am in both Rome and Venice and explore when its just you and the workmen, you can see it so much better. Then head back to the hotel after 9am for breakfast when all the tourists (not that I was one of course Wink ) head out to the main attractions.

Oh chuck a coin in the Trevi Fountain for me. I hope you enjoy, the holidays my wife and I have had in Rome and Venice have been great. And if you get to a resteraunt off the beaten track eating out can be an experience and not too expensive. Just watch out for those dammed moped riders in Rome.
BubbaG2000 13 767 1
5 Aug 2008 11:19AM
I went to Mauritius for 2 weeks and I regretted not taking my D40x. I bought a powershot A720 for the occasion, but trust me, every time you take a pic you will regret not having something meatier for some reason. I know people say that a good photographer can take a great pic with any equipment, but still...
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
5 Aug 2008 11:22AM
It sounds so great. I just can't believe I've never been.

I am gradually making in-roads into my boyfriend's "it's yours, you carry it" attitude. It's a hangover from having to carry his daughter's bicycle Smile
5 Aug 2008 11:35AM
We went to Rome a couple of years back just my wife and I, and the kids were so interested in the photo's etc we went back with them when the airlines had one of their flights for 20 sales. They loved it.

We went to Venice this year for our 20th Wedding aniversary, and my wife loved it so much she was on the internet last night showing me the flight times for going back.

I hope you enjoy Italy as much as we have.
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
5 Aug 2008 11:41AM
This trip is supposed to be a taster... it will give us a chance to do the main things, and then we can always go back. If this route doesn't work out, then I'll try Turin, Milan and Venice instead.

It actually works out pretty good value doing a few cities all together as train travel is quick and very good value. Also, by going via Paris we get to see my bf's daughter, which saves us taking another separate trip.
domhenry 14 111 England
5 Aug 2008 11:57AM
I went on a lengthy holiday round Australia last year and had the same dilemma, should I take my weighty Canon bag as my carry on luggage and then hump the thing round Queensland and New South Wales for a weeks on end?

Got m'self a Canon G9 instead, great range, smashing image quality, built like a tank and small enough to go in a shorts pocket. With the addition of the bayonet fit 58mm filter holder (20) and my filters I was in business. If you want wide angle there is a lens adaptor available.

Just thing how pleased your shoulders and partner will be!
5 Aug 2008 12:13PM
My worry abut going to the cities mentioned is not taking a wide enough angle lens. If you have a compact with a decent wide angle end on it then it could be good.
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
5 Aug 2008 12:54PM
Of course I don't actually have a wide angle lens... at least not one that behaves like a wide angle on my DSLR.

My Ixus starts at 38mm, so that's rubbish.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.