Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Travelling - kit dilemmas

steve_p 15 1.2k England
6 Aug 2008 3:13PM
Just got back from a week on Lake Como- I took my 40D and an 18-125 Sigma lens I bought for the trip. Pleased with the results but even that got a bit heavy. I decided to leave it behind one day and regretted it.
Thats where I think a good quality compact would be very useful at least it can be carried easily. One of the people at the hotel uses a Panasonic TZ5 and he is pleased with the results. he also has a Nikon D70 which he finds abit heavy to cart about as well.
iainpb 16 40
6 Aug 2008 4:26PM
Hi, Just got back from Florence myself, be sure to visit the Duomo - highest buliding in the city - excellent photo opportunitues from the top! You'll need a nice wide angle lens for impressive cityscape and mountain views.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 4:50PM
Vencie is safe, till you try and board the No3 Vapareto.

The locals turn nasty then Smile
cuffit 14 354 8 England
6 Aug 2008 7:24PM
Why not try and contact 'rusmi' who posts many fantastic pictures on this site which are all taken in the areas you are visiting. Some of his pictures are taken in cities at night, or in low light ,so he will have local knowledge. While Europe has many problems, I feel safer in Rome and the like than I do in my local town. Have a great time. Chris
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
6 Aug 2008 9:15PM
instead of a tripod a gorillapod is a lifesaver (SLR size) and weighs really nothing - highly recommended
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
7 Aug 2008 9:20AM
I've got a Gorillapod, although it's the mid-size one - they hadn't made the SLR size when I bought it.

That reminds me, though, I've also got an Ultrapod. Probably a bit borderline, too.

When you lot say wide angle, are you talking wider than 28mm? Just checking - to me, wide angle is wider than this, but I know some would call 28mm wide...
iainpb 16 40
7 Aug 2008 1:56PM
28 would be good,but if you have wider i'd take it. There are some really impressive views at the top of the duomo - i wish id had wider than 28 while i was up there.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2008 2:02PM
Stiching is your answer. If you shoot in manual I find photo's taken with the 17-40 stitch very well, even in Elements 6
stevie 17 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2008 2:28PM
I'm lucky enough to have a house in Tuscany so I visit Italy quite a bit. In Italian cities I've started to stick to a simple combination which covers most things, most of the time - a Canon 5D with 24-105 lens.
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
7 Aug 2008 2:32PM
Oh stop mentioning that combination! I can't afford the holiday let alone full-frame Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.