ADVERTISEMENT
Enter ePz's Christmas Prize Draw! Plus, a prize for all on Xmas day!

Tree stump grinder...use of.

MikeRC 17 3.6k United Kingdom
31 May 2005 10:14PM
Hello...does anybody have any experience with operating a tree stump grinder?
I had 2 dozen, thirty year old, 10 foot conifers cut down and he has left the stumps sticking up 3 or 4 inches.
I can hire one for 110 a day, do they work satisfactorily? How long would I have to spend on a 10" diameter stump?
Would appreciate some advice.
many thanks...Mike RC
NickdeBug 17 391
31 May 2005 10:20PM
I would offer someone 50 per day cash in hand to dig them out - shouldn't take more than a couple of days. Once you get down to the tap root just cut through and pull the stump out. It would save you the effort and the mess Smile
31 May 2005 10:53PM
Not enough room Nick.......the pavement is on one side, the drive edging on the other, can't get far eough back.

thanks though...Mike
Henchard 17 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
31 May 2005 11:03PM
Not sure of the power of the grinder you are considering but the big ones can chew up a tree stump in a few minutes. To be honest it would have made more sense to use a contractor who removed the stumps as well!

My contractor cut down a number of trees including a row of about 12 large conifers and it didn't take more than an hour to deal with all the stumps and chew them up to well below ground level.
31 May 2005 11:11PM
Hindsight eh...that's the thing....Mike
goatster 18 399
31 May 2005 11:22PM
Nick:

2 dozen stumps, in two days.. 50 quid a day... a dozen stumps a day... mmmmmm me thinks you should try before you buy.

Tony
Smile
Glamrox 18 304 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2005 1:51AM
2 dozen tree stumps + weedkiller & sugar = kaboom ~ no more stumps Smile
1 Jun 2005 1:54AM
In addition to the original message...here's the rub..
There are another 2 dozen trees, I have arranged to have a fence errected 6 foot high with concrete posts.
The guy doing the fence says he will cut them to 2 foot high, wrap a chain round the trunk and pull them out with his truck, a Nissan Warrior I think.
220 on top of the 1600 for the fence.

I can't afford it but it has to be done and I am prepared to bite the bullet, but the more I think about it the more I think it will not work.
I suspect he will still want the 220.
Anybody have any views on this.
..........Mike
digicammad 19 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2005 1:57AM
If he just pulls them out there is likely to be significant damage to the surrounding area. If the pavement is damaged I'm pretty sure you would be liable for the cost to repair it.

Ian
goatster 18 399
1 Jun 2005 2:02AM
Mike,

Apply physics, make the stumps 4 foot long and the warrior will certainly pull them over. But pulling them out once the tree and the chain are pointing the same way may prove difficult as the chains tend to slip off - rope or thick cord grips better and you can larks foot it so it grips.
Plus as Ian says the damage 'could' be conciderable if they are being pulled from a narrow slot in the flags.

Tony
1 Jun 2005 3:48AM
>>If the pavement is damaged I'm pretty sure you would be liable for the cost to repair it.
1 Jun 2005 3:59AM
Glamrox...tell me more

Tell me you have tried it and it works

...Mike
1 Jun 2005 4:06AM
Diggicammad /Goatster

You are right, the damage on both sides would be considerable, maybe a 1000 bill from the council and another 400 to repair the block paving.
.....Hence the stumpgrinder...still looking good.

Anyone thinking of planting conifers, remember when you are 30 year older, they will be too.

....Mike
digicammad 19 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2005 4:10AM

Quote:Anyone thinking of planting conifers, remember when you are 30 year older, they will be too.

lol Mike, most people don't seem to stay anywhere that long these days.

Ian
goatster 18 399
1 Jun 2005 4:14AM
Mike.

Thats the beauty of hedges, ever concidered pruning and saving on the fence?

Tony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.