50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

tripod advice

torres99 12 119 1 United Kingdom
20 May 2010 9:50PM
Hi There everyone,
Bit of advice needed. ive just ordered the sigma 120-400mm hsm os for my nikon D60 and would like to know what sort of tripod would be suitable for the weight involved. Any help and advice from you kind people would be very much appreciated i havent a clue where to start with heads etc.

thanks in advance.

Carl
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
20 May 2010 10:59PM
Manfrotto 055X ProB.......Should do the trick......Smile

As for the head, Take your pick......Wink
User_Removed 11 1.4k England
20 May 2010 11:04PM
+1

Those are brilliant general purpose tripods; ive used them for parallax heads and LF cameras works like a charm. Very light and small for the stability too.
gary_d 13 576 13 Wales
20 May 2010 11:27PM
cameracat is spot on, I have one of these and works like a dream, its not light but very stable and easy to use.

gary
20 May 2010 11:38PM
What if you cannot afford that sort of money?
20 May 2010 11:50PM
Thanks Guys for the advice will have a look at this and let you know,might have to wait a while with just buying lens.lol

Regards

Carl
Stuart463 13 766 United Kingdom
20 May 2010 11:57PM
I use the Siggy 120-400 with a D80 and D200 in conjunction with Manfrotto 190CX3, 190XPROB tripods and a Manfrotto 681B Monopod. Heads will be a personal choice depending on the task. The lens is fantastic and because it is optically stabilised I use my monopod more than tripods. I suppose it will depend on what you are going to use the lens for - I use it for sport and sometimes air shows etc. Hope this helps and enjoy your new lens - you won't be disappointed. PM me if you want to chat about heads.

Regards, Stuart
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
21 May 2010 10:13AM
There are a variety of tripods on the market that will do the job of supporting your camera with this lens.
2 things to check for when looking at any tripod when using a 'longer' telephoto lens, are
1) Load capacity - the more load the tripod will take, the more rigid the support will be.
2) Max height - I mention this because I bought a manfrotto 190X-PROB, and when used with a
1D and 400mm F5.6, fully extended, with the centre column raised to suit my height of 5'9" ,
there was noticeable vibration - if you can find a tripod that you can use without raising the centre column,
at which ever height you need for long lens work - this will be a plus point.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 May 2010 10:48AM

Quote:What if you cannot afford that sort of money?

You should see the price of the " Carbon Fibre " efforts.....Sad

There is always eBay for a good selection of used items, Though from what I have seen Manfrotto gear tends to make high prices even used.

You could look at some earlier models of a similar build, " Slick " made/make some fairly decent tripods, So unless its been used on a building site, Even the older heavier items can make a good purchase.

That said at around 100 quid the 055 Manfrotto is hardly expensive in real terms today, That works out to around 7 bottles of " Gin " or maybe 2 half decent meals out, Or less than 5 rounds of drinks for five or six lads on a night out, Or a fairly cheap " Call Girl " .......Grin

I guess its a case of where your priorities lay........Wink
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
21 May 2010 6:19PM
beanbag should get you started Smile
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
21 May 2010 7:31PM
Bean bag or a Joby G8.Grin
21 May 2010 8:55PM

Try a Giottos. Same sort of spec as Manfrottos. They've been well rated in several mag reviews (including on ephotozine) and are much cheaper.
21 May 2010 9:12PM
Thanks everyone for your input will check these out lots to look at.

thanks again

CarlGrin
21 May 2010 10:17PM

Try a Giottos. Same sort of spec as Manfrottos. They've been well rated in several mag reviews (including on ephotozine) and are much cheaper.

Thanks Grin

I will look at them.
LenShepherd 13 4.3k United Kingdom
21 May 2010 10:25PM
At 600 effective on DX with no tripod mode VR serious wildlife photographers go for at least a Gitzo Series 3 - though Gitzo recomend a Series 5.
Gitzo and Manfrotto are part of the same group.
Important tripod loads generally assume a standard lens for the format - which is 35mm on DX. 600 effective for critically sharp shots needs something more stable than for a camera with standard lens.
Also if shooting a subject less than 12 feet wide you need faster shutter speeds (around 3 speeds faster for an 18 inch subject) to compensate for the extra magnification.
Forget about using a center column if you want maximum stability - they act like a monopod when up.
If you are going in close a second hand Benbo 1 (weighs a ton) or an over 200 Giotti or an over 450 Gitzo are what the pros and advanced amateurs use - because anything less is not consistently sharp enough.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.