Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

Tripod head

bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
22 Oct 2008 10:03PM
I have done a search and looked in the shop but still not able to find what I want.

Can someone let me know the type of tripod head I need to hold a reflector.


Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GPTek 12 454 1 England
23 Oct 2008 12:21AM
Not a head as such but try a Manfrotto Super Clamp

HTH Geoff

Edit Available Here
Overread 9 4.1k 19 England
23 Oct 2008 12:31AM

might work for you - though it might not have the guts - never tried one before so can't comment on actual strength
I've got a plamp, fine for holding plants and such, crap when the object weighs more then... a plant. The links are stiff, so in theory, it could, but the link to the base isn't, so it tends to bend down with the weight.
brian1208 Plus
15 11.4k 12 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2008 6:54AM
tried using a plamp to hold a 20" circular reflector on Monday evening and it isn't up to the job (wouldn't even hold a panel of foamcore board)
bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
23 Oct 2008 11:24AM
Thanks for the information, pity about the plamp it looks like it would be very usful.

Geoff, thanks for the links, from the image it is a little difficult to see how it works.

I am thinkning that the main part of the clamp fits to the stem of the tripod or stand and the second slot and leaver are for the reflector.

For this to be true it must be a wider slot than it looks.

Leif 13 722
23 Oct 2008 4:19PM
If it is for outdoor use, then do not attach a Plamp to the tripod unless you want vibrations galore. Speed Graphic have lots of clamps and supports.
GPTek 12 454 1 England
23 Oct 2008 8:33PM
Barry, take a closer look at the images and the spec's. You'll see that the base has 1/4" threaded socket that should take your tripod. The lever brings the jaws together. There are adapters to fit in the jaws to enable a flat grip surface and check the Manfrotto pages there's a range of adapters.
If you check Warehouse Express you'll see the binocular variant attached to a tripod.

Geoff Smile
bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
23 Oct 2008 9:07PM
Thanks Geoff
23 Oct 2008 9:46PM
"Borrowed" a copy of Manfrotto's 'Lighting and Cine Support Solutions' catalogue from Focus earlier this year - actually the guy gave it to me.

Product number D300 Articulated arm with spring clamp
Looks like one end grips the top spigot of a typical lighting stand and t'other has a squeezy spring clamp attached.

Product number 237 Flex arm
A stiffly bendy-arm thing..with male tripod thread one end and female on the other by the looks of it - but it's described as "hexagon stud to fit super-clamp 035" and you know what that looks like..

Likewise product number 237HD Heavy duty flex arm
same but stouter.

Would these ?? (male threaded ends) fit into:-

Pruduct number 175 Spring clamp
Product number 275 mini spring clamp

Both of these look like they have a female threaded 'spigot' sticking out the side..

Try searching on these product numbers in Manfrotto's web site.
bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
23 Oct 2008 9:57PM
Thanks Kevin, will give it a try.

23 Oct 2008 10:09PM
No problem...hope it helps the investigation a bit more..!
The pig of it is, that they have a vast array of supporting, clamping lighting stuff which is hard to get your head round without a damn catalogue..the guy at Focus furtively extracted the one I have from a locked display cabinet..! oh...really useful hmm...?!
Good luck!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.