Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Tripod Leg Spikes

JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
3 Jan 2019 9:37AM
My tripod has them but I have to pull the rubber feet off to reveal them.
It is a bit of a pain and sometimes quite hard doing this so consequently I rarely do it.

Do the spikes make that much different and should I make more effort ?

I think I can get separate spikes so unscrewing the rubber feet and screwing in spikes would be easier, which I may consider doing if it is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / advice Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pink Plus
16 6.0k 7 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2019 9:56AM
I have a screw-in set that are 8cm long, I use these in long springy foliage as the rubber feet do not penetrate this at all. I also use them on rocky ground as they grip much better.
They can also fend off dodgy looking characters as they make a formidable weapon on the end of a 6 foot tripod.
I find them very useful
Ian
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
3 Jan 2019 10:32AM
Spikes are useful for pushing into soft ground - particularly grass fields.

Grass at ground level is soft and acts a bit like a cushion, not ideal for tripod stability.

RoyBoy 14 303 2 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2019 11:16AM
I bought some for my Gitzo tripod and they are great for three reasons. The first is the extra stability it gives when outdoors in windy conditions. The second is the extra bit of height is really useful in bringing the viewfinder up a bit when the tripod is fully extended, especially as I like to avoid raising the centre column. Finally such is a bonus when in soft or springy ground, such as heathland, as you can push the legs down to get a firmer base.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
3 Jan 2019 4:02PM
Thanks for the feedback, some useful points to consider Smile
ArtyArt 8 332 2 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2019 7:37PM

Quote:I have a screw-in set that are 8cm long, I use these in long springy foliage as the rubber feet do not penetrate this at all. I also use them on rocky ground as they grip much better.
They can also fend off dodgy looking characters as they make a formidable weapon on the end of a 6 foot tripod.
I find them very useful
Ian

Same as Ian says, but I also have the snow cups attached aswell.
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
29 Jan 2019 9:42AM
Late comment.
Some furniture wax where the rubbers go on the spikes should make it easier to move them

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.