Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Tripod that definitely has removable head please

Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 12:00PM
Hi guys,
I've just bought a MANFROTTO head (3/8th screw) only to discover that my Hamma tripod had a non-removable head. It seems impossible online to ascertain WHICH tripods have removable heads! Even when it says the screw size it doesnt explicitly say that the head is removable or non-removable or how to remove the head! Can anyone suggest a good tripod that they KNOW definitely has a removable head (or comes without a head), ideally below 100, which I can put my new (90) head on?! Of course happy to buy a cheap adapter screw thread if possible/needed.
Please help, it's driving me insane! I don't have any camera shops near me to try the tripods in (other than Argos, where I went to check out a 65 MANFROTTO tripod which is listed on their website as having a 1/4 screw - making me think the head must be removable - but I didn't buy it because I couldn't fathom any way to get the head off and the instructions didn't mention the screw size or how to get the head off or even if the head was removable).

A link to a tripod you personally know has no head or a removable head would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,

Hayley

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
10 Apr 2017 12:36PM
You could take a look at this Manfrotto tripod

retailers Park Cameras & WEX have it listed at around 90.
User_Removed 6 328 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 12:39PM
You've already bought a head, so all you need is legs. Unless you want another head for some reason..... Just search for legs, not a full tripod and job done.
andybebbs 12 603 1 England
10 Apr 2017 1:09PM
have a manfrotto 190XPROB for sale with no head if your interested but it would need picking up and im in bristol.
Andy
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 3:05PM
It can be cheaper to buy a kit (legs and head) but the smaller and cheaper brands don't let you change the head. Whereas the majority of the big brands do, Gitzo, Giottos, Benbo, Manfrotto have the legs and head available separately. You can also mix those brands very easily.

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 3:43PM
You don't say what gear is going to mounted on to it, tripod legs have a rating as to how much weight they can carry, cheaper ones can have dubious leg locks too....

if you go to WEX Photographic you can find legs such as

Manfrotto 190 Go at 129.
Manfrotto MT190 X3 at 109.
Velbon Ultra 655 at 109

Good luck in your search.
Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 4:43PM
Thanks everyone, I think I'm gonna go for a Mefoto Backpack Air tripod which is really light as I've got a bad back (despite being 22 haha). It's 99 so should be sturdy and has a weight adding hook, & good reviews and is compatible with my head.

Comes in amazing colours but I think it better be green for bird watching....Tongue

Thanks again!
RoyBoy 15 303 2 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 5:02PM
Are you sure that the one you mention has a removable head. Also unless you are using a really light camera, it doesn't look very sturdy to me especially in wind.
You mention use for bird watching. This usually entails using a long lens and this being the case I suspect you will also find problems with balance.
In short, if you don't mind me saying so, I am not sure you are making a good choice here.
Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 5:25PM

Quote:Are you sure that the one you mention has a removable head. Also unless you are using a really light camera, it doesn't look very sturdy to me especially in wind.
You mention use for bird watching. This usually entails using a long lens and this being the case I suspect you will also find problems with balance.
In short, if you don't mind me saying so, I am not sure you are making a good choice here.

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I have 2 cameras. One is an Olympus which weighs 390g and one is a Canon which weights 480g. Lenses for the Olympus are ridiculously light, and my 100-300mm for the Canon weighs 450g. My dad's (I don't have one yet - I'm a poor student Sad) 150-600mm Tamron weighs 1.95kg.

So my heaviest camera (Canon) plus heaviest lens (600m) comes to 2.5kg if my maths is correct. The max load for this tripod is 4kg - leaving me 1.5kg extra for a body upgrade if I choose to buy a heavier camera (not likely really).

What weight should the tripod really be able to support? The Manfrotto tripod kindly linked to above only has 1kg more weight capability - 5k - does the extra kg capacity make much difference when my equipment only comes to 3kg max anyway? (I'm never going to be able to afford a pro telephoto lens, unfortunately).

In terms of sturdiness, instead of carrying equipment (and other general stuff like books, medication, food etc) plus a heavy tripod, I prefer to carry my stuff plus a light tripod and hang the weight of my stuff onto the tripod in order to make it more stable. This has worked well for me so far - are there any major disadvantages to this?

I'm not a photographer, and I usually take my photos during holidays/days out/walks, so I need a tripod that will fit in/on a backpack and isn't too heavy (I have scoliosis). There are (VERY) expensive Manfrotto etc. carbon fibre tripods that are incredibly light, that don't have too many stability issues, so I figured the stability would be okay. Before this I was using a 20 Hamma tripod (awful, I know), and I never had an issue with stability because it had a weight hook.

However, I am really keen to get the best possible photos and the best possible kit that I can afford, so if you can suggest an alternative tripod that is sturdier and has more weight capacity but isn't really heavy I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks!
Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 5:26PM
Sorry, forgot to mention, I asked Wex Photographic if the tripod definitely has a removable head, and they said yes.
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
10 Apr 2017 5:39PM
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 5:40PM
If a tripod is listed with a tripod screw size the head is intended to be removable.
It might be your Hama head is just jammed in place.
If it is the trick is to hold the tripod legs in one hand, the head in the other hand, all knobs as tight as they will go and to wrench the head (much sharper than a gentle twist) ant-clockwise to release it.
I hope this works.
Digressing better quality tripos and heads have the 3/8 screw size.
Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 5:43PM

Quote:http://www.mefoto.com/uk/products/backpacker-air.aspx#Specifications
Definitely says fixed head there.

Oh Yeah!! So Wex Photographic got it wrong (lied) in their response to my product question then....it is impossible to get any correct info!
Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 5:45PM

Quote:If a tripod is listed with a tripod screw size the head is intended to be removable.
It might be your Hama head is just jammed in place.
If it is the trick is to hold the tripod legs in one hand, the head in the other hand, all knobs as tight as they will go and to wrench the head (much sharper than a gentle twist) ant-clockwise to release it.
I hope this works.
Digressing better quality tripos and heads have the 3/8 screw size.

My dad has tried wrenching it off in ton way you described, with all manner of tools, to no avail Sad the tripod above which someone has helpfully just pointed out has a fixed head also lists screw size though....i too thought that screw size listing meant removable but apparently not.

Why are there no instructions in the MANFROTTO tripods which list screw fittings as to how to remove the head? I don't want to break a brand new 90 tripod Sad
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
10 Apr 2017 5:47PM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.