Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Tripod that definitely has removable head please

Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 5:50PM

Quote:http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx#Specifications
Maybe they were thinking of this one.

Brilliant spot, thank You! They must have, although I submitted it as a question on the specific model that I linked above, they must have read the product description wrong.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 7:03PM
1/4 inch thread is camera tripod mount i.e. between camera and head... 3/8 is the thread for mounting a head to the tripod, all decent legs will have a 3/8th thread for mounting the head, you need to look at the best legs that you can afford, particularly if you have problems with the weight you are able to carry... Are you able to save a little longer for Carbon Fibre legs?
Hayulls 3 9
10 Apr 2017 7:12PM

Quote:1/4 inch thread is camera tripod mount i.e. between camera and head... 3/8 is the thread for mounting a head to the tripod, all decent legs will have a 3/8th thread for mounting the head, you need to look at the best legs that you can afford, particularly if you have problems with the weight you are able to carry... Are you able to save a little longer for Carbon Fibre legs?

I'm not sure which legs are the best Legs! Whenever I Google "tripod legs" all that comes up really is tripods with heads. I'd love carbon fibre - how much more are we talking? I but buy from eBay quite successfully but I need to know that the tripod is definitely compatible before I buy and most are pictured with heads on :/

I have tried to Google all this for myself but there is so much out there and so many differing opinions, and no clear instructions!

I looked at a 60 tripod from Argos, MANFROTTO, which listed the screw size for attaching a head, but there was no instruction as to how to remove the existing head and I couldn't see any likely looking screws or anything so I wasn't going to risk breaking a brand new one!

I can save for carbon fibre as I have exams from now until June but I don't earn very much Sad

Thanks!!
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 7:17PM

Quote:
My dad has tried wrenching it off in ton way you described, with all manner of tools, to no avail Sad the tripod above which someone has helpfully just pointed out has a fixed head also lists screw size though....i too thought that screw size listing meant removable

Is your Dad trying a sudden wrench? Quite often a sudden jerk works whereas force without a sudden jerk distorts the thread locking things up even tighter until the force is removed.
It is a bit like removing a stuck filter when a finger and thumb distorts it whereas a rubber band applies all-round pressure.
It is possible Hama may have been referring to the camera screw fitting and not the head fitting.
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2017 8:12PM
99 quid, Carbon Fibre, fab brand, 100% guarantee you can remove the head, my pal bought this one

The legs are the first number, head is the second number

250184_1491851709.jpg

Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
10 Apr 2017 9:17PM

Quote:that my Hamma tripod had a non-removable head

What Hamma tripod ?

I bought a cheap Hamma (less than 20 quid) for use as a light stand for un-even sloping ground, the head unscrewed and was removed without problem.
MGJ 11 372 6
10 Apr 2017 11:27PM
Very often these studs are secured with Loctite on one part of the stud, or being steel/ali there can be a tiny spot of electrolytic corrosion. Generally its a steel stud into an ali body. It is normally tapped to standard clearances. So there is nothing special about getting them undone.

You can give them a mighty wrench, but that is a bit barbarian. Generally a drop of Plus Gas overnight and a tap will spin it off easily. (even if they have used an ali thread.)

After that, the engineeringly sensitive will replace el cheapo stud with a stainless steel one, at which point the problem goes away. To remove the stud, it is a normal 2 locknut job.

There are many 3/8 threads. BSF, UNF UNC etc. These ones will be 3/8 BSW. Camera tripod threads are 1/4 BSW.
altitude50 16 18.8k United Kingdom
11 Apr 2017 8:19AM
Why buy a new tripod? It is very difficult to sell any used tripod and the prices are ridiculously low, have a look at ebay listings.

I go to a small car boot sale every week and there is usually a quality tripod of some description there for under 10.
11 Apr 2017 9:52AM
I use the Manfrotto 190 Go! aluminium version. It's a high quality tripod and I would strongly recommend it. I have a ballhead and a 3-Way Geared Head, which I regularly change over depending on my subject. The switch over is fast and easy. The legs are of a high quality and set up is easy.

There are aluminium (1700g) and carbon fibre (1350g) versions. The carbon fibre version is around 100 more expensive, than the aluminium version.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/manfrotto-190-go-carbon-fibre-tripod-1599491/

There is a bewildering choice of tripod legs available. It's easy to get overwhelmed when looking at the various options, I know I was.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.