Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Trying slide for first time-please help

davey 17 246 England
19 Mar 2005 4:49AM
I have a Minolta Dynax 5 & would like to try slide photography fpr the first time.
I also have a Canon EOS300D and know the basics of photography.
I know exposure is more critical for slide photography so any guidance would be appriciated.
Also is a lightmeter needed or is the Dynax 5 internal meter adequate.
Landscapes will be my main subject.

Davey
Miles Herbert 19 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2005 5:10AM
I usually found that my old Dynax 5 managed to meter quite well on it's own using the internal meter. It may be an idea to bracket your shots to begin with until you are more confident with what you are doing...it means using more frames per shot, but it also means that one of them should be spot on.
sillyconguru 17 4.4k
19 Mar 2005 5:10AM
I'd consider the latitude of slide file similar to that of digital (possibly, slightly less). If your exposures using the 300D (with C/W metering) look OK, then your slides should be reasonable.
tepot 17 4.4k United Kingdom
19 Mar 2005 5:49AM
i agree with miles, i ALWAYS bracket with awkward shots that i'm not sure with, usually take the metered shot then one shot either side at 1 stop difference, sometimes i'm glad i did!
franken Plus
19 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2005 6:28AM
I agree re the latitude of slide film being similar to digital. I found digital to be slightly less forgiving than slide though.(especially in the highlights) You should be ok with slide.

Ken
macroman 18 15.3k England
19 Mar 2005 8:23AM
Beware of spot metering in my experience.

I once took a whole roll without realising that the metering mode had shifted to 'spot'.

I've never seen such a load of old rubbish only about 3 decent shots out of 36.

It's probably OK if you you have set it deliberately for a particular shot but othwerwise...AAaagghhh!!
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2005 8:44AM
Latitude of slide film on a par with digital? You must be joking! Smile

As has been suggested, get the metering wrong for a given subject/circumstances with slide film and you are in big trouble but with digital you have enormous opportunities for recovery.

As Miles says, if you are shooting in circumstances where there are high contrasts (black on white, white on black etc etc), then bracket (+/- 1 stop in third of half stops even more perhaps).

Barrie Smile
elikag 17 749
19 Mar 2005 9:35AM
I've had similar problem - I had Zenit film camera (no metering) and a digital compact (PowerShot S1 IS)

Eventually I went for the next set-up - I mounted the Zenit on tripod and looked through the viewfinder, then tried to make the same frame using the zoom of my digicam, got the reading from the digicam and 'translated' it for Zenit (it has less shutter speeds but more aperture choice), then I bracketed +/- 1/2 or +/- 1 stop (depending upon the subject).

You have internal mettering, so what's the point? Well, using that awkward set-up I did get 7 good frames (those that didn't turn well were due to my silliness - I forgot to compensate for the polarizer that was fitted on the Zenit but not on the digicam. DOH!!! Smile

I did ask for help on this thread and got good answears (as usual).
And here is a thread from the day I got back the processed film - joy Smile

Hope you'll have good expirience with slide film, and if you don't try you wouldn't know.

HTH,
Ilia Kagan.
macroman 18 15.3k England
19 Mar 2005 9:37AM
Oddly, In my early days of photography I did quite a bit of 35mm slide work.

I didn't have a meter then, so I just relied on the exposure guide on the pack.

I reckon I had just as high a percentage of decently exposed frames/roll than I get now with my all singing,dancing Minolta.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
19 Mar 2005 9:46AM
With my first "proper" camera (Yashica rangefinder) I used slide nearly all the time and, despite the fact the camera was all-manual with a suspect lightmeter, I got about 80-85% decent shots.
ajhollingbery 18 106 England
19 Mar 2005 10:00AM
When using slide film, which I have for the passed 40 years, I always expose for the hightlights, let the shadows look after themselves. Bearing in mind the narrow latitude of slide film, blocked shadows are far more acceptable than burned out highlights. I always rate slide film 1/2 stop faster than indicated on the box and rarely find under exposure has spoiled a shot. I also get better colour saturation. A polarizing filter also helps to cut down on reflections, hence reduces over exposed highlights and increases saturation.

Hope this helps.

Andy
19 Mar 2005 10:55AM

Quote:I once took a whole roll without realising that the metering mode had shifted to 'spot'.

lol...i did the same thing but only for a couple of shots, i was sooo mad!!! having said that i find spot metering very useful at times.
jonty500 17 126
19 Mar 2005 11:33AM
i say don't take your 300d with you. trust your metering, also the latitude of slide film is quite small so it is an art to get just right. but you only learn from your bad photos, if you are the kidn of person who deletes all their bad photos you will never learn. wtih slides you can't throw em away. also looking at slides is far more fun than images on a screen.
19 Mar 2005 12:21PM
if i bracket an exposure and take 3 exposures of the same subject, it's exciting looking at the results on the lightbox in some ways i really am loath to go digital but i would shoot slide as well, the anticipation as you open the box of slides when you get them back from the lab nearly kills me...sad or wot...lol

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.