Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

TV Interference

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
17 Mar 2007 9:54AM
I keep getting other sounds out of my TV speakers, that sound like a
muffeled radio, I notice these mainly when I switch to dvd, but have not put a disc in.
It can be paticularly annoying if it is a silent scene in the middle of a
desert and you can hear the sound of music playing. For the majority of the time you do not notice except for those quiet periods of the film.
I have been told it is interference
Is there a way of re-tuning the sound, so it does not pick these signals up?
Can anyone explain this?
It is still happening when I turn the cable TV box off.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
17 Mar 2007 10:07AM
Sounds like the audio amplifier section in your TV is not as filtered as it should be, One way of testing this is to remove all Antenna & Cable box connections, If the sound vanishes try installing the Antenna & Cable box connections seperately, To islolate which one is bringing the interferance in.

Once you have isolated the source, You can then find out if there is an external filter that you can apply to reduce OR remove the problem.

Maplin is probably one place to to look for " Suppresors " or RF filters that can be put in line on the offending cable, Failing that the TV may need to have it's Signal rejection pot's tweaked, But for that you need an engineer who knows what he is doing.

If you need to explain it over a phone It's often reffered to as RF interferance, and may be from Adjacent channels, Could also be something called " Harmonics " this is a signal that is a multiply of the originating requency.

Whatever, It can be sorted BUT you need to identify the source first. (Tip try listening to it, in case you can make out what station it is, that may also help )..

Apart from that Good Luck.
User_Removed 15 4.9k England
17 Mar 2007 10:12AM
Tv & Radio interference
Used to be able to buy little collars to put around cables, to stop radio interference.
I'd switch everything in the house off including fridge freezers/alarm clocks/all lights, when you notice the interference. just have the TV/DVD on.
If it disappears, switch back on one at a time, to see when it reappears.
If it's from outside your home, could be a neighbours faulty TV/radio transmitting signals. Then the only option is to get the professionals in.
Col
Cephus Plus
15 2.6k England
17 Mar 2007 10:27AM

Quote:It is still happening when I turn the cable TV box off.

The unwanted sounds may be coming through your cable TV supply and not through the airwaves. Try playing your DVD with your cable TV supply unplugged and see what happens.

Peter.
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
17 Mar 2007 8:07PM
Thanks for the help. It could be as you say from the cable box, that is significant as it sounded like comic relief in the background over a DVD last night. Although I have turned it off via the remote I have not done this via the mains.
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
17 Mar 2007 10:08PM

Quote:I keep getting other sounds out of my TV speakers, that sound like a
muffeled radio

It's funny you should say that as I've noticed a similar thing the last few days.Although the sounds I was getting didn't really sound like a muffled radio like you describe,they were more of a screeching sound,as if an animal was in pain.I racked my brains trying to diagonose the cause,thankfully,yesterday I got to the bottom of the mystery...............................................................................................................

it was the singing on BBC1's comic releif program.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.