WEX Offer: Claim Up To 650 Cashback With Panasonic

TV Licence

Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
10 Jun 2020 10:21AM

Quote:But ITV never understood that a race is ruined by the continual appearance of Adverts. Channel 4 on the other hand have always screened the entire race without adverts - loading the pre- and after race conversations to make up the difference.

The Adverts Bernie was concerned with is those on the cars and in the background. You will see these on the BBC or a commercial channel. The sponsors were well aware of this. An advert on Lewis Hamilton's car is much more effective than the jingle in the break.

Dave
10 Jun 2020 11:32AM
But there will always be Advertisers who wish to flash their name across a screen which attracts a lot of viewers. The thing, I think, advertisers don't realise is that when their advert interferes with the speed and tension built up in a race they are the losers. Personally, for me, their adverts goes against them.
robertt Plus
14 141 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2020 6:54PM
We should not have to buy a licence, it should be the BBC to stop sending the signal to our tv`s. We can watch all the other programs. If they can`t do that that is their fault and they should stand the cost or shut down.
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
11 Jun 2020 10:03PM
The BBC is a public Service Broadcast Company and do a good job. Talking to a neighbour today who has small children who have clearly not been able to attend school. The BBC has supplied many educational programmes just for this period for which they are very grateful. I was also watching an excellent programme about the discovery of electricity today on BBC4. It would be a great shame to lose the BBC and a loss to education which we owe to the younger generation. Someone has to pay either by a licence fee or by tax or we lose it.
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.3k 2268 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2020 7:56AM
The BBC has proved its worth in recent months, in so many ways. Support for home-schooling; in-depth news coverage, asking questions on our behalf; BBC4; the iplayer Culture in Quarantine section, particularly the theatre productions from the RSC and Globe. It has been particularly valuable for the elderly and those living alone.
The 'chewing gum for the eyes' areas are replaceable with commercial broadcasting, the bits that matter are not. It is service broadcasting. We expect to pay for gas and electricity, I really despair of people who expect services for free.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.0k 67 Norway
12 Jun 2020 8:36AM

Quote:It is service broadcasting. We expect to pay for gas and electricity, I really despair of people who expect services for free.

Here in Norway we have NRK, which is our equivalent of the BBC. It has always been financed by licence fee, in the same manner as the Beeb, and with similar repercussions for those who don't pay.
Recently, however the system has been changed, to a fairer method. All households pay an annual fee which covers all electronic devices - tv, radio,pc, tablets and smartphones. The fee is baked into the tax system so you don't even notice you are paying it.
NRK is now financed via the country's national budget and will, every year, have to seek on increased funding along the same lines as any government department has to (they are not regarded as being under government control, though).
The new system has dampened the voices raised in protest about having to pay a fee seen as being unfair.
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.3k 2268 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2020 8:57AM
That's an interesting system Malc, the problem being that in the UK 'ring-fenced' funding is often not effectively protected.

I was told in France about ten years ago that the television licence fee was included in local property taxes, the equivalent of our Council Tax, I assume that this is still the case.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
12 Jun 2020 11:49AM
It is and its currently 138 euros/year

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.