Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Two-year guarantee on goods is a well kept secret among retailers

NickParry 15 1.0k 79 Wales
5 Jan 2010 3:05PM
From reading recently in the press, shoppers with faulty goods are being routinely denied repairs or replacements because they are not told about their rights under a guarantee scheme.

"EU law creates a minimum period of two years in which a faulty product can be returned, and in England and Wales the figure is six years.

But many High Street stores are denying customers these rights, either because the staff don't know the law or because they think they can get away with it.

Generally, retailers hide behind the offer of a standard one-year guarantee and refuse to do anything when this lapses. Consumer experts say this means they are failing to abide by the law. Most shoppers are in the dark about their rights and often simply throw out a faulty product.

At one time, household products were manufactured to last, but the industry can now make more money by churning out 'junk products' with a short lifespan.

Chris Warner, consumer lawyer at Which?, said: 'While it is true that the EU consumer rules mean stores should repair or replace an item that breaks inside two years, the Sale of Goods Act affords consumers protection up to six years from the date of purchase."

I thought that it may interest you.

Nick Smile
gary_d 13 576 13 Wales
5 Jan 2010 3:10PM
Well thats something I did not know, thanks for the info. - gary
NickParry 15 1.0k 79 Wales
5 Jan 2010 3:14PM
It makes you think too about those extended 'guarantees' that are offered by certain big name electrical stores that are in fact worthless

e.g. They say that the guarantee is for one year, and ask you if you want to extend for 5 years on an item. Often this needless guarantee totals nearly half the cost of the item in the first place.

Basically, if an item is faulty within 6 years, take it back, it is the law; they have to repair or replace.

Nick Smile
Nigeyboy 13 991 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2010 3:17PM
Nick - where did you see this info? It would be really helpful to have the source link to send to friends etc.

Cheers

Nige
roxpix 17 2.2k 11 Scotland
5 Jan 2010 3:23PM
Previously raised here link and here link with links to source etc link
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
5 Jan 2010 6:15PM
Contact Which? Nigel.

It's all true.

Wink
5 Jan 2010 10:11PM
I have a theory that many stores exist to sell insurance policies as their main source of income. I've told shop assistants that if they try to sell me insurance I will walk away.
KevSB 17 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2010 8:32AM

Quote:I have a theory that many stores exist to sell insurance policies as their main source of income. I've told shop assistants that if they try to sell me insurance I will walk away.

Although I agree with you, Unfortunately In a lot of cases asking you Is demanded by the company so if they don't they get in trouble with the boss.

Rock and hard place situation for them
karl Plus
17 654 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2010 11:08AM
The problem you have, is that after 6 months it's down to you to show that the defect was there when the product was purchased/it's a defect from the manufacturing process - which is pretty much impossible for most people to do at a cost less than just replacing the item out of your own pocket.
ianrobinson 11 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2011 9:29PM
where are these facts written and are they legal. fact is only fact as long as it is written in a legal document approved by a legal entity, if the shopper has this to hand it would be very useful to show the said shop and prove to them you are entitled to a repair of goods.
5 Apr 2011 9:32PM
Hi Ian

A link was provided earlier in the thread to the official EU document but for convenience, here it is again Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.