Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

UK Police Claim Filming Them Is an Offence

kaybee 12 5.1k 25 Scotland
29 Sep 2007 2:43PM
Common Sense
That is what seems to be missing - both in the video and the case of the photographer.

In the video common sense says that the officers should have ignored the camera and walked away. They obviously were not sure of their ground and the guy with the camera was....common sense says go away and find out for sure - then go back if you are right (also puts the subject on the back foot).

In the case of the photographer, common sense says do not argue with an armed officer in the middle of an operation.The officer may have got it wrong but he has more important things to deal with than somebody getting in front of him argueing a point of law....you will always lose out in that situation.

Taking the moral high ground is all well and good but there are times when common sense and 'discretion being the better part of valour' must take over

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 13 4.8k 36 England
29 Sep 2007 2:56PM

Quote:In the case of the photographer, common sense says do not argue with an armed officer in the middle of an operation.The officer may have got it wrong but he has more important things to deal with than somebody getting in front of him argueing a point of law....you will always lose out in that situation.

Not sure I follow that. If he has more important things to do why wasn't he off doing them then instead of instigating an argument with a member of the public.
Also it appears he wasn't in the middle of 'an operation' but had finished dealing with the situation.

Quote:but he has more important things to deal with than somebody getting in front of him argueing a point of law

Perhaps he should have thought about that then before starting the argument. As you say a lack of common sense, and experience perhaps.

Also not really sure what the rellevence of 'whether he's armed or not, has anything to do with it
elowes 12 2.8k United Kingdom
29 Sep 2007 6:33PM
Couple of young and I have to say slovenly officers. There is no excuse for their behaviour toward to camera man but having been at their end of the lens it is very hard not to try it on.
pennyspike 13 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2007 6:52PM
It's a good job he wasn't Russian.
Photographers locked up
This group were considered to be spies and spent a night in the cells.
22 May 2008 4:48PM
Oh my god ive just propally seen that video " what an idiot " For a start how does he know they are harassing a teenager you dont here anything! maybe they are following up enquiries and anyway how stalker looking was his camera work looks really suspicious to me he looks like hes after a verbal fight with 2 young inexperienced looking officers. Hasn't he got anything better to do. I would understand if it was in the street photographing something else but if i saw him doing that to me a civilian id come over and have it out with him.

I'm seeing alot of anti police and well its disturbing!!! I think reason police offers dont like their photo taken is out of security its not a certain law its more safety as they are classed as a target and looking at this thread they have been. I was a serving Marine in the time of IRA terrorism and then we had to keep an eye out for people taking pictures of us in public and of building we used so this is not a new thing, think people forget that. Maybe a little training is needed especially the community officers but overall they have a very stressful job and are under constant scrutiny and i think also the public have to take some responsibility as people cant wait to argue. If i was stopped and asked what im doing , id be polite and explain. If the officer persists ill gladly wipe the camera but ill take his number and complain the right way. We are a lucky country that we are able to do what we do, in other countries they dont have a leg to stand on. I know its annoying being told not to take a picture but maybe abit of courtesy from BOTH sides and not have a chip on shoulder for authority then maybe things wont go badly.
22 May 2008 5:02PM
Oh by the way i think its more the government that peple keep electing in that has the final say on how the police do their job maybe more focus on them than the hard working bobby.

Now im off the orange box . Smile
sidaorb 11 3.9k 2 England
22 May 2008 6:24PM
Yet another nicely onesided video. There is no evidence of harrasment to the original youth on the bike, just an assumption by the guy with the camera. His whole attitude towards the officers was one of, 'im going to antagonise this as much as I can', yes the officers were wrong with there quote of the law, but I would consider someone trying to hide behind bushes with a camcorder fairly suspicious.

But hey while theres a good band wagon driving around, lets all jump on it......... well I for one wont be.
Nickscape 10 708 9 England
22 May 2008 7:40PM
I think id be quite suspicious if someone was hanging around corners filming me doing my job - the camera man has obviously got a chip on his shoulder, it wasnt as if they were rude to him, the camera man was obviously bored.
JohnnyGraham 11 98 Scotland
22 May 2008 7:56PM
the chap clearly had an agenda and achieved what he set out to do,

but accusing him of hiding behind bushes or corners seems alittle harsh when hes in his own garden lol.
sidaorb 11 3.9k 2 England
22 May 2008 8:12PM
Johnny it looks more like he was in some kind of alleyway initially and as the film shows appeared to be trying to conceal himself when the officers looked in his direction, that would ring alarm bells for any copper and would need a look.

Lets put the flip side on, if he had been pointing the camera and filming a group of young kids playing in a playground and ducking behind bushes would people want the poilce to check him out ?
22 May 2008 8:23PM
have you watched it and listened to it?

hes clearly in his own garden so dont dont be offended that im not replying to your strawman argument.
22 May 2008 8:29PM
oops didnt mean for that to come across that as harshly as the above message looks lol
22 May 2008 9:12PM
He starts off in an alley way then runs to his garden. Plus he goes straight n the offensive looks like he was hoping for confrontation to do exactly what he wanted to achieve and thats views of his video
andytvcams 14 10.4k United Kingdom
22 May 2008 9:15PM

Quote:He starts off in an alley way then runs to his garden

What a plank
22 May 2008 9:18PM
think he makes the argument of photographers right worse.

If i was taking a picture of Nottingham council house with police in the picture and i was pulled up on it I would understand and thats what i find annoying.
But to do what he did puts out the wrong message sneakily filming police doing their job and then once spotted running to the garden to start his campaign of im the innocent party. thats more annoying an instant youtube trash video.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.