Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

UK Police Claim Filming Them Is an Offence

Just Jas Plus
15 26.1k 1 England
24 May 2008 10:45AM

Quote:.....tho the on the spot fine part sounds wierd.

Got to get his beer money some how? Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pepperst 9 2.3k 4 Wales
24 May 2008 10:53AM

Quote:A shopkeeper was fined a a not to far away Local Council for flying the Union Jack.

He was told that he could only fly the Euro flag

Sounds a bit to random for me, either idiot council, some other issue in reality turned round for the shopkeepers gain, or silly season in the local rag
Just Jas Plus
15 26.1k 1 England
24 May 2008 11:14AM
Was reported in a local rag, shop and shopkeeper were named.
pepperst 9 2.3k 4 Wales
24 May 2008 11:28AM
Avast a link

Appears that either the council did him for failure to comply with another law (advertisment!), or they failured to understand the planning regulations on flying flags which the eu flag is also subject to as well nation flags.

This has all been changed recently, a few years back even government buildings could only fly for 18 days a year and there were strict regs on mear mortals flying. As these were set by the royal household it never included the eu flag as that has nowt to do with the queen.
Just Jas Plus
15 26.1k 1 England
25 May 2008 3:16PM
Well, the Union Jack's flying high at Monaco today!!!!!!!!! Wink Wink Smile Smile
14 Oct 2014 8:43AM

Quote:You might find this video interesting

The one who stands his ground

So I see that this video no longer exists - does that mean that it was deemed illegal and removed?
thewilliam 9 6.1k
14 Oct 2014 9:20AM

Quote:Has this become a thread for unsubstantiated, almost certainly apocryphal, tales? the EU and straight bananas,
I've heard of thread-drift, but...

I was under the impression that the EU stipulated that bananas should be bent and it's cucumbers that have to be straight.

I remember when one of my wife's golfing chums had to cut down and plough up her apple orchards because she was growing the "wrong" varieties. The zealous inspectors wouldn't even allow her to sell the juice from the prohibited varieties!
Chris_L 3 3.9k United Kingdom
15 Oct 2014 12:38AM

Quote:So I see that this video no longer exists - does that mean that it was deemed illegal and removed?

No.
Paul Morgan 16 18.7k 6 England
15 Oct 2014 1:19AM

Quote:UK Police Claim Filming Them Is an Offence

Only if your interfering or obstructing them in some way while in the line of there duty.
BlueInfinity 12 42 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2014 4:04PM
Am I being thick here? But surely if it's illegal to film the police why are there so many programmes on TV about them - Police Interceptors for example.
keithh Plus
13 25.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Oct 2014 6:04PM
Well those film makers are there with permissions but it's not illegal to film a police officer and it happens all the time.

Obstructing an officer in the course of their duties is an offence....camera or not.
KevSB 13 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2014 8:17PM

Quote:
So I see that this video no longer exists - does that mean that it was deemed illegal and removed?

The video was posted 7 years ago when this thread was started, laws have changed since then but yes you can film the police.

There is no law stopping anyone filming in a public place, so if you are on the streets you can film without asking permission – the Metropolitan Police’s own guidelines(adopted by all police forces in Britain) make clear that “police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel”. There is a law – Section 58A of the Terrorism Act 2000 – that says police officers’ can stop you filming them if they believe that the video will be used for purposes of terrorism. However, police guidelines state that:

“it would ordinarily be unlawful to use section 58A to arrest people photographing police officers’ in the course of normal policing activities… An arrest would only be lawful if an arresting officer had a reasonable suspicion that the photographs were being taken in order to provide practical assistance to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism”.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.