Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

unbelieveable

mohikan22 11 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2012 12:05PM
UNBELIEVABLE!!! My CF card with all 275 images went through a hot soapy washing machine spin and rinse cycle, hung out to dry all night and it WORKS! all images retained too. WOW!!!! for those interested.. its a "silicon power 200x 8GF cf card" pretty good going for a cheapo!
boy am i happy!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

widtink 3 406 2 Scotland
19 Aug 2012 12:12PM
LOL are the picters not a bit washed out thoughWink
mohikan22 11 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2012 12:22PM
very good lol. SmileTongue
MrGoatsmilk 7 1.5k England
19 Aug 2012 2:09PM
I seem to remember one of the mags doing a test that involved running all types through a wash along with other "tests" they ended the lives of the cards by nailing them to a tree if I recall correctly.

Think they all survived the washing machine
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
19 Aug 2012 5:22PM
Its only amazing if you do not understand that memory cards are solid state memory devices that are impermeable to water.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
19 Aug 2012 6:21PM

Quote:Its only amazing if you do not understand that memory cards are solid state memory devices that are impermeable to water.

...but not necessarily to heat!
Cephus Plus
10 2.2k England
19 Aug 2012 8:37PM

Quote:Its only amazing if you do not understand that memory cards are solid state memory devices that are impermeable to water.

...but not necessarily to heat!

Use the low temperature cycle...Simples!
User_Removed 11 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Aug 2012 9:28PM

Not always the case... Wink

But...

In the same way that dropping your 'Compact' into the sea and then (immediately i.e. 'NOW!!') dunking in to a bucket/washing up bowl/ under a running tap etc) and then drying it off as best possible and THEN... putting it in the airing cupboard for a week... normally works and the camera is fine!

Smile
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 7:17AM
I knew someone would bring up sea water. It's not the water that does the damage The salt in the sea water corrodes the metal terminals. soldered joints etc Mike is 100% right in saying if you are quick enough in washing all the salt water of the card it will be fine.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.