Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

Unhappy with Sony about RX100 mark 7

suejoh Plus
16 257 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2020 6:39PM
I have had this camera for 7 months and I sent it back to Sony as there is a large black mark on the viewfinder. Sony refuses to repair this under warranty and want to charge me 155.
So I am officially very unhappy about this. I have looked to see what the guarantee says but I can't find the guarantee details. It does not affect the picture but for a camera costing 1100 I think you expect better service. This is my second RX100 but I think I will look for another make next time.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
17 Oct 2020 6:55PM
Hi Sue. Sorry to hear about this. Perhaps you could explain a bit more about the black mark and how it came to be there.

You may need to take this up with Trading Standards in due course: LINK

Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
17 Oct 2020 10:34PM
Your rights are set out in the Sale of Goods act providing you bought the camera from a UK retailer. You should be going back to the retailer rather than the manufacturer if you did not actually buy the camera from Sony.

Dave
suejoh Plus
16 257 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2020 9:31AM
Thank you for replying. I think I first need to see the guarantee and why they think it is not covered as they did not see fit to tell me that.
suejoh Plus
16 257 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2020 9:37AM
I assume they are going with accidental damage or improper handling but this is an electronic shutter - it is always down inside the camera unless you are using it. Not happy.
Chrism8 13 958 27 England
18 Oct 2020 10:05AM
Presuming you've checked the viewfinder for any dirt or marks etc, then as Dave says, you need to take it up with wherever you purchased it, your contract is with them and its their responsibility to if necessary sent it to Sony.

As its a camera with a fixed lens there shouldn't be any dirt or marks internally unless somehow done during the manufacturing process.

Chris
18 Oct 2020 10:05AM
Does the mark effect your images?
suejoh Plus
16 257 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2020 4:24PM
No it does not affect the images. The viewfinder is electronic. It pops up and then you pull the front out toward you. I used a blower and a brush but could not clear the mark. I assume it must be inside the viewfinder. It is a nuisance for viewing the scene as it is quite large but that is all. However I don't see how I could have damaged it myself.
The place where I bought it sent it away for me and I will talk to them.
18 Oct 2020 4:44PM
Well that sounds like a good move forward. Hopefully it will be returned as good as new. But I am surprised at Sony as I have always had good repsonses from them.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.