Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Uni

Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2010 10:40AM
5 years ago I was doing a degree in Lens based media, I regretfully left the course about a month before the end of the first year, I wasn't ready for it, I had just completed a BTEC National Diploma in photography and struggled to complete that , then stupidly went straight onto the degree course, when really I should have taken a little time out.
I had a lot of time off due to daughter being ill she used to be sick quite a bit and even though doctors had said it was just reflux the nursery would send her home and not allow her back for 48 hours, there policy was if a child had sickness or diarhhea (Sp?) they had to be clear of it for 48 hours before they could come back, this got me behind with my course, I was a single mum struggling finding time to do my course work and rolling in debt. Anyway I now feel ready to do the course and looking at the site there will possibly be vacancies in clearing, I was wondering if any others on here may have quit a university course and returned, where you able to return? to be honest I'm a bit scared of asking to return having left the course without letting them know, so am just really looking for others who may have done the same or anyone to boost my confidence and give me the courage to re-apply Smile
User_Removed 14 2.1k 7 England
14 Apr 2010 10:50AM
Hi, I work for a college doing both FE and HE courses. We understand that life sometimes means students can't complete and would not hold leaving a course against anyone wanting to return. We (education) are in the business of educating not judging.

Apply is the simple answer. But, understand that there are massive budget cuts, 25% in FE and 20% in HE for next year, staff are being made redundant right now and places on courses will be hard to get. The fact you didn't complete won't be held against you I am sure.

So go for it, I wish I could be a student as I never went to college leaving school at 16.
User_Removed 13 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2010 11:11AM
I agree with Andrew. You should be given credit for your previous work and your previous candidacy will not have changed simply because you didn't complete.

With regard to funding, if it is a serious impediment to you rejoining HE it may be worth getting in touch with the Students Union and through them any Women's interest groups who may be able to help you with a proportion of your funding. You wont get a huge amount but there should be small bursaries available for returning, mature students with significant family commitments and limited external support.
Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2010 1:15PM
Thanks so much for the reply's this is what I needed, I'm now nervously going to email my old tutor and ask him whether he thinks it is worth me.
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 130 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2010 1:19PM
You only have 2 options: ask and find out, or don't and live with not knowing.

In my opinion Hobbs is not quite right in saying that in education we are about facilitating learning and not judging as it really depends on what you are applying to do (equally throughout any course we have to judge your performance). For example, in courses that have professional accreditation alongside the degree it is likely questions would be asked regarding your reliability. That said, as the period of time is reasonably long, I think it unlikely that any university would not accept that in the interceding years you've done alot of growing.

You should be prepared for questions related to your suitability for the programme for which you are applying - even if these don't come up - especially if applying to the same institution as intimated in your post.

Good luck with it - and what harm could a phone call to enquire do?

Rgds,

Adam

PS. I have lots of students who return to study after a break of years - and they relish what they do. Don't be put off the idea just because your a little older.
thewilliam 12 6.1k
14 Apr 2010 3:29PM
I was an admissions tutor in a former life. We tried to recruit students who had the greatest prospect of success and that didn't always mean the brightest or the best qualified.

Apply and convince the University of your maturity and your determination to succeed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.