Unique photo opportunity in the Sahara Desert!

Attention!

This topic is locked.

urban-hero 16 23 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2005 2:48AM
I am a Trustee and Director of The Saharawan Aid Trust, a Charity that supports the 150,000 displaced refugees from the former Spanish Sahara who now live in four vast tented cities in the Sahara Desert.

We regularly organise convoys of vehicles, (named "Rainbow Rovers" by convoy founder the late Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham) to travel from the UK, through Spain and Algeria to deliver the vehicles and the much needed aid that they carry directly to the camps.

We are planning another convoy (RR2006) at the end of April 2006 which will take place over two weeks with the drive down to the camps (including the ferries) taking around ten days and three days spent touring the refugee camps before flying back to London Heathrow. This is a unique opportunity to see an area of the world that few people have visited as Algeria do not issue tourist Visas and we are the only aid convoy allowed to cross Algeria overland.

There are two ways to take part in RR2006;

a) As a passenger in one of our vehicles - The cost is 1,500 which includes all travel costs (including flights back to London), hotels and food during the trip.
b) To bring a vehicle - If you supply a suitable vehicle (older type long wheelbase landrovers are a favourite) in a suitable roadworthy condition for the trip together with two persons (driver and co-driver) the total cost is 3,000. People often obtain sponsorship or organise fundraising events to cover these costs.

I have uploaded several pages of pictures from the last convoy that took place in October 2004 PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 which will give you an idea of what the journey is like. There is also a website for the SAHARAWAN AID TRUST which gives further information about the Saharawi People and their plight (this website needs a major overhaul, any web designers out there feeling charitable?).

If you require any further information, please e-mail me on: convoy2006@aol.com for the latest information updates or if you would like a copy of the explanitory Video CD featuring the voice of John Hurt (will play on DVD player or PC), please send cheque for 1 to cover cost and postage(payable to Saharawan Aid Trust) to: Rainbow Rovers 2006, c/o London Media Centre. 3 Richmond Buildings, London W1D 3HE.

I will keep you posted on this forum as plans are finalised!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ghostrider 15 54 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2005 3:41AM
I would so luv to be able to take part in such a trip of a lifetime!!

Ghostrider :0)
katieb 16 255 4 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2005 5:37AM
Oh I wish what a fabulous opportunity, sadly I am totaly skint. But if I can beg borrow or steal 1500 then I would be there like a shot.
Katie
covey 15 1.7k Ireland
7 Jun 2005 5:52AM
Considering ... When do you need to know?.

T.
User_Removed 16 3.3k Russian Federation
7 Jun 2005 6:28AM
Counting the pennies as we speak...
Second Mortgage anyone??
sabretalon 16 1.9k United Kingdom
7 Jun 2005 6:30AM
How about a unique way of funding it?

Try winding people up on here, they may then pay for you to disappear for a while? LOL
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2005 6:32AM
Do you need a documentary cameraman?, Smile)
7 Jun 2005 6:34AM
But follwoing in the BBC's footsteps Andy would you then be buying a camera phone with video playback?
7 Jun 2005 6:40AM
Never Smile)
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
7 Jun 2005 6:47AM
Or even not ever! Smile)
7 Jun 2005 6:53AM
That as well Smile
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
7 Jun 2005 6:54AM
I thought you were a 'progressive', Andy? Smile
7 Jun 2005 6:56AM
So does that mean you already have one or your just being tight waiting for work to give you one (camera phone that is!)???
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
7 Jun 2005 7:00AM
How about designing a miniature camera with a phone built in? A sort of 'Minoxaphone'?
urban-hero 16 23 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2005 9:14AM
I'm amazed to see such a response so quickly - anyone interested in being part of the 2006 Convoy should email me on conyoy2006@aol.com and I'll add your details to the mailing list.

We would ask for confirmation from anyone wishing to come at least three months prior to leaving together with a deposit to secure your place(s). The balance would be payable six weeks before departure at the very latest. As there is just under a year to departure there is plenty of time to fundraise or obtain sponsorship (perhaps EPZ will provide a nice liveried Land Rover lol!).

Andy - we're in discussion about a TV documentary, please e-mail me a contact telephone number for you on convoy2006@aol.com and let's have a chat!