Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Unmarried Men Are ?A Problem? For Society, Says Tory MP Iain Duncan Smith

gcarth Plus
14 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 1:12PM
I think idiots like Duncan Smith are a problem for society.TongueSad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
14 2.2k 545 England
6 Oct 2017 1:47PM
IDS = Irritable D******* Syndrome
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.1k 58 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 1:52PM
In my opinion IDS seem to keep jumping on single issues he does not like, elevate them to supposed national importance and then try, without looking at any related or causual issues, to deliver resolutions to his problem areas ignoring consideration of anything else affected.
Is he saying that without his wife's guidance and control,then he himself would be a nuisance to society.
Or perhaps he is saying married men should get 2 votes as they are more sensible; or should unmarried men pay more tax as they cost more to society.
Perhaps he's just trying to get "air time" and does not care what he is saying as long as he is on telly.

(i'm sure in reality he has really done things i both agree with and disagree with - as have most other politicians - its just that i seem to disagree with him on many of 'his issues')
Ross_D 4 761 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 2:17PM
So where is the reference/link and/or full transcript??? I couldn't find any reference in the Guardian or BBC News website so it must be fake news !!
gcarth Plus
14 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 2:32PM

Quote:So where is the reference/link and/or full transcript??? I couldn't find any reference in the Guardian or BBC News website so it must be fake news !!
I first heard about it on "The Wright Stuff" this morning but googled it later and found reference to it in the Huffington Post.

Quote:IDS = Irritable D******* Syndrome
or IBS - irritable bowel syndrome (commonly known as a pain in the a*** SadWink
He's also a staunch catholic and that flags up my biased animosity straight away! I reckon he would have excelled himself as a member of the Spanish Inquisition.
As with Blair, this man should hang his arrogant head down in shame.
IDS was responsible for the cruel sanctions and cuts in benefit that caused the deaths of hundreds if not thousands of disabled people.
brian1208 Plus
15 11.4k 12 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 3:05PM
GIGO
6 Oct 2017 4:27PM
Well at least you gave me a clue !! Full transcript here (I'll provide the link for you Wink) :

huff

Whilst I am no fan of IDS or the current batch of Tories I do object to taking sentences out of context!! Basically he was talking about familiy breakdown and single parent families and how this impacts society. He pointed out that, in the case of unmarried couples, where the fathers did a runner, both the the mother and child (or children !) suffer both financially and mentally. By comparison, married couples have legal protection and the father can be forced to provide financial assistance.
gcarth Plus
14 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 5:12PM

Quote:I do object to taking sentences out of context!!

I don't see where anything that IDS said was taken out of context. I don't know how you come to that conclusion. We will just have to agree to differ...Smile
He did say that unmarried men often grow into “dysfunctional” human beings and become “a problem” for society".
This is insulting to single men. Anyway, is marriage such a wonderful institution? About one in three marriages breakdown, don't they?
...and there are plenty of unmarried couples who live perfectly happily and as well-functioning family units.
The Tories are always telling us how important marriage and family values are but don't practise what they preach!
IDS, in typical fashion, is starting from the wrong premise and confusing cause and effect.
Poverty is behind our dysfunctional society.
What IDS doesn't seem to comprehend is that many of the sociopathic single men he describes would probably still not change if they were married because they just are that way. Sad
dcash29 12 2.3k England
6 Oct 2017 5:33PM
It all boils down to media intervention again. Stop the interviews, stop the politician back room chit chat and get on with the job.

Blocked

Snapper Plus
13 4.3k 3 United States Outlying Islands
6 Oct 2017 6:36PM
I'm one of the 72% who thinks he is talking nonsense in the Huff Post poll. He is shamelessly trying to say that marriage is effectively the only reasonable circumstance for proper family life, which we all know is tosh. I'm sure he has stats that show that there are many ne-er do wells who father kids and then move on (either willingly or unwillingly), but it's a massive insult to the good and great unmarried dads in the country. Still, it's based on religion and they have to say it.
collywobles 14 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 8:06PM

Quote:As with Blair, this man should hang his arrogant head down in shame.
IDS was responsible for the cruel sanctions and cuts in benefit that caused the deaths of hundreds if not thousands of disabled people.

........... bit over the top isn't it Garth !
gcarth Plus
14 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2017 8:39PM

Quote:........... bit over the top isn't it Garth !
Hi Colin.Smile Well, I've read about figures of thousands of disabled people dying as a result of the cuts and all the hoops they have to jump through (physically as well as metaphorically!) However, perhaps I shouldn't imply that IDS is evil - more horribly misguided and incompetent Sad

6 Oct 2017 8:51PM

Quote:cuts in benefit that caused the deaths of hundreds if not thousands of disabled people.

I think you've been blinded by your own predjudices.

Quote:Still, it's based on religion and they have to say it.

Marriage has nothing to do with religion (unless the couple involved want it to be ). It is a legal procedure that places certain responsibilities on both parties (which in effect is what IDS was saying).
StrayCat 14 19.1k 3 Canada
7 Oct 2017 6:16AM
Marriage has nothing to do with the responsibilities of couples when it comes to providing care for children, at least on this side of the pond it doesn't. If you live with a person and have children, no matter where you go, you are still responsible for a share of the expense of bringing up your offspring.
ericfaragh Plus
14 149 5 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2017 7:09AM
There's always been a bias against single men/women. Periodically politicians pick up on bias and attempt to make votes out of it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.