Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Unsharp Mask

26 Sep 2005 5:44AM
You see one minute you are gathering research for the company, then you are paid by the company, now you have contributed to the DVD which you are cutting and pasting information from. Copyright is a big issue here, it is taken very seriously, you have been advised to refrain from taking extracts from the DVD, I would also question the legality of this with the iqa. They have very strict guidelines on permission too, I suspect you may have a problem there to as only the direct member of the iqa can actually reproduce the information given, third party copying I believe is not allowed.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
26 Sep 2005 6:00AM
Goodness me. What a lot of tosh and piffle.

This is about unsharp mask is it not?

There are a variety of settings you can use.

Start with understanding if using jpegs the likelyhood is that the image has been sharpened in camera and extra sharpening may (I say may) result in unwanted artifacts in the image.

When using unsharp mask on any image start with 100%, 1 or 2 radius and 0 threshold. Even RAW images need a light hand.

From there experiment for youself to get the best sharpening for what you want to do with the image. After a while you will find you can assess most images very quickly and apply the right setting.

Cameltrophy offers / has found (as if I care where it came from) a good but long explanation which gives a clearish idea of how it works and how to use it.
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
26 Sep 2005 6:03AM
K

I see where you are coming from re copyright and the issues there may be for the originator of the information and Ephotozine.

However, it is often the case when we get excited we forget the original question.

A solicitor once told me no matter how many questions he asked he always made sure he never forgot the first one and got an answer to it.

Eric
Thanks for your information and patience CT. I found it useful and appreciate it. There will always be mindless anoraks - in forums & life. Nothing new . . .

Cheers,

Brian
tinabolton 16 131 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2005 12:58AM
I recently bought a canon 20d and found that my images were also quite soft. This was because (I was told on here I think) that the default settings on the camera are set to a slightly softer focus. I think without checking my manual (can't find it right now!) that if you go into the menu on your cmaera and click on:
Camera menu (red) then Parameters mine was set at 2, it's now set at 1 as this makes the images sharper. there is also a sharpness setting too which might be worth experimenting with.

Once I'd reset this my images became clearer.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.