Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

update on sensor cleaning

tricky66 15 24 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 12:43PM
Hi all, is there any one sensor cleaning product that is more popular or in more use currently? I realise there are a million and one products out there but previous posts that I could find all seem quite old now, so suggestions welcome.
Thanks All
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 12:45PM
Lots of people on here (including myself) have high opinions of the Sensor Brush/Arctic Butterfly products. I vowed never to put anything wet or sticky inside my camera and so far, several years down the line, have never had to.

Ian
User_Removed 19 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 1:03PM
Me neither Ian.
Never had reason to?

Gerry.
franken Plus
19 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 1:36PM
I echo the comments of digicammad & Laurel Steinbeck.

Ken
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
23 Sep 2009 2:51PM

Quote:echo the comments of digicammad & Laurel Steinbeck

To true, Its something best left alone....Smile
strawman 18 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 3:30PM
Its funny I would never put something in my camera more than once, so I avoid the rushes, too easy to get contamination in. To my knowledge the camera companies use the wet methods, well they used to.

Mind you I have not had to clean my current camera yet and I have had it for @ 2 years.
tricky66 15 24 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 5:42PM
Thanks everyone, so far seems I am unfortunate or swap out lenses too often! Either that or the contamination is in the lenses.....a whole different ball game I guess!

Looks like I will investigate with my trusty old blower again!

Thanks

Rich
sbowler 13 9 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 7:35PM
rocket blower and arctic butterfly, usually fix mine.
jondf 15 2.8k
23 Sep 2009 10:32PM

Quote:Thanks everyone, so far seems I am unfortunate or swap out lenses too often! Either that or the contamination is in the lenses.....a whole different ball game I guess!

Looks like I will investigate with my trusty old blower again!

Some words of advice....when swapping lenses always try to do the following -

1) Play safe - swap lenses over something soft in case you drop 'em, or alternatively, sit down. Always have the camera strap round your neck so you don't drop that either.
2) When removing a lens always point the camera downwards. Uncouple the lens and place camera end down immediately onto a firm, flat, dust free surface (I usually use a wiped, hardback book).
3) When attaching a lens, have it ready on the book. Again, point camera lens opening downwards then quickly fetch lens up to camera turning through 180 degrees at the latest possible moment before attaching to camera.
rowarrior 13 4.4k 9 Scotland
23 Sep 2009 10:38PM
4) turn the camera off so the static charge doesn't pull in more dust
User_Removed 19 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2009 11:19PM
(5) Don't forget to look both ways before crossing the road.

Gerry.
Leif 16 777
24 Sep 2009 1:32PM
It is always worth giving the mirror chamber a good cleaning with a rocket blower and a soft artists brush, just don't touch the mirror or screen. That way you prevent dirt falling from the chamber onto the sensor.

I use a PecPad on an old DigiPad spatula and Eclipse fluid to clean the sensor. You need to take care, but if you are reasonably dextrous, it is easy, albeit a bit tedious. See the CopperHill site for details.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.