Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Upgrade

Munro 13 45 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2015 5:50PM
Hi, I am looking to upgrade/change my current camera. I am currently a Canon user and using 7D but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and I am going to take the step to full frame. However, without spending close to 3,000 I would be looking at the 5D mk3, but this now is getting on itself.

The other option would be to switch to Nikon which does have a range of full frame models which are considerably more modern and competitively priced. Whilst I appreciate I would have to change lenses, I was hoping for some (impartial!) advice as to whether the d750 or D810 would be a worthwhile change. Current deals would see the price of the D810 drop to under 2,000 with the trade in of an old dslr.

Thoughts appreciated.
7Wishes 5 61 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2015 6:38PM
With the exception of the D700, I'd be asking myself why most of the Nikon full frame cameras have had such a short shelf life in-terms of their upgrade before considering any switch in camera brand.

sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2015 7:50PM
I can appreciate the desire to upgrade to a full frame option - is this your main intent?

Whilst the camera may be getting older - it doesn't necessarily make it no good - this applies as much to your 7D as it does to the 5D MkIII. Before shortlisting possible upgrade paths draft out a list of essential features. E.g. in addition to the full frame - what is essential in a new body? ISO performance, auto-focus system, resolution etc.

Finally, an obvious draw back of switching is the need to replace your lenses - remember EFS lenses don't fit Canon full frame mounts (EF). The resolution of a D810 will likely mean that there is no room to compromise in terms of the standard of glass you use - and the change in brand will necessitate a change in glass for sure. Factor this requirement into your budget.

11 Oct 2015 8:37PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes the main intention is to upgrade to full frame. I would hope to improve DR, ISO performance at low light and resolution. I appreciate fully what you say about lens situation both for the 5D mk3 and D810.

What may tie me to the 5D is that I currently have the 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 (all 'L'), unites the arguments for the benefits of the d810 would seriously outweighs the 5D(?).

I know this may seem a no brainier to a lot of people, but real world feedback from actual users is helpful.
sherlob Plus
11 Oct 2015 8:57PM
I'm in a similar boat - I will likely want to upgrade my 5D MkII next year. The 5DS and DSR are too niche for my liking, and therefore currently the 5D MkIII is my preferred option - it would help to keep the price down too. Changing systems is just not an option given the loss I'd take on my existing glass.

The 5D MkIII has an excellent pedigree, and I expect to it remain in Canon's line for some time still. I have seen rumour of another 5D scheduled for later in the year - but I don't know how much faith to have in such rumour and what spec the camera will have.
11 Oct 2015 9:02PM
Currently WEX have a 250 trade in off the price which would take it to 1,999 (however, this only runs until Tuesday. In addition I am awaiting a quote from them for my 50D, I may not get much for it but it would make the trade up cost more palatable.
sherlob Plus
11 Oct 2015 9:09PM
Ah, now I am unlikely to trade my 5D MkII - rather I may opt to do an IR conversion. Good luck - whatever you decide.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 7:39AM
Consider Sony body with existing Canon lenses. I'm serious.

With a groundbreaking 35mm large pixel image sensor rated at 15.3-stops of dynamic range and an ISO 409,600 sensitivity2, the α7S reveals astonishing detail and color even in the dead of night

Quote:I would hope to improve DR, ISO performance at low light and resolution

bainsybike 11 337 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 8:31AM
By the look of your (very fine) portfolio, you don't go in much for sports, birds in flight and other fast-moving objects, so perhaps you don't need the speed and autofocus capabilities of the 5D3. In your shoes I would look at the 6D - cheaper by 1,000, which you could put towards some very nice glass.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 9:39AM

Quote:
the main intention is to upgrade to full frame. I would hope to improve DR, ISO performance at low light and resolution. I appreciate fully what you say about lens situation both for the 5D mk3 and D810.
I know this may seem a no brainier to a lot of people, but real world feedback from actual users is helpful.

The feedback you may not be expecting is that the professional Canon shooters I know and most Nikon wildlife shooters mix a crop sensor and full frame cameras.
I am going to annoy some people who do not regularly mix crop sensor and full frame but those who do KNOW that full frame full frame v crop sensor being significantly better is mainly an internet myth, technology for technology.
I have used DX alongside FX for for 7 years, and own all the equipment I mention below.
If you upgrade any body (to higher MP) you will get all you are looking for, plus something you overlook. More MP means more tonal range and acutance because there are more pixels.
The D750 has a slight resolution disadvantage to the D7200, the AF points cover a much smaller percentage of the screen area though it has about 1 stop noise and DR advantage at high ISO's. DR does however follow a slippery above about 3200 ISO.
The suggestion of considering Sony + an adaptor is worth investigating, though not a 10 out of 10 route as an adapter does not make any crop sensor lens you have 24x36 coverage.
If you could have got to Digital Splash at Preston yesterday the D750 was 1299 and the D810 was 1695, with similar discounts off some lenses.
The D810/5D lens myth is also somewhat over stated. Whatever lens you have you get more image resolution if you put it on a higher MP body - and there is not a huge difference between most lenses at f8/11.
The Nikon D750 is a good camera but (like the D700 in its heyday) has some compromises to keep the size small and the price low. The D810 is a much better camera, but more expensive.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 10:26AM
Chris L makes a good suggestion...

What is wrong with a 6D? Full Frame, good ISO performance and cheaper than a 5D3, and of course will make good use of your existing 'L' glass... 1132 at WEX.

mr2cameras 6 36 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2015 4:07PM
The Canon and Nikon menu systems are COMPLETELY different - as are some of the handling features. As a Canon 600D user, I borrowed a friend's Nikon D3100 recently - and discovered that the lenses turn the other way when you remove them. It took me twice as long to change lenses as on my Canon.
I would suggest the 6D. The handling is very similar to the 7D, and it will give you that full frame quality without costing a bomb.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
13 Oct 2015 11:39AM

Quote: it will give you that full frame quality without costing a bomb.

The point I made earlier is that for around 70% of shots the different formats make no practical difference, for around 15% of shots 24x36 has a useful advantage, and for about 15% of shots crop sensors have a useful advantage. I think it wise before such a major change to consider what percentage of the OP's photography is where 24x36 format has a useful advantage.
Changing formats is less of an issue for Nikon users as crop sensor and full frame lenses work on either format.
Grays of Westminster trade in for the D810 is 1,850 less whatever the Canon body is worth - which might not be high to an exclusively Nikon retailer.
The cost of new lenses is a factor - no budget has been mentioned.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
13 Oct 2015 11:59AM
With three 'L' lenses I believe your choice really is simple and that is the Canon 6D, full frame, good high ISO performance and you could keep the 50D as a backup or for when you need a little extra reach...

Phil
13 Oct 2015 11:37PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I eventually settled for the 6D, with discount and trade in for the 50D I got it for just over 850. As was suggested, probably a no brainier with already having 'L' glass. In addition I also have the 7D for any further reach that is required.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.