Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get the new ON1 Photo 10 and Save $100 Today. Use Code: GetPhoto10 View Offer

Upgrade Lightroom 3 to Lightroom 4 ?

canonfan46 6 1.1k United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 10:49PM
Hi all
I am a amateur and have been using Lightroom 3 for a few years but have not been very active over the past year.
I see now that there is a new "Lightroom 4" and was wondering if there was anything new in it that would make it worth while upgrading to.

Any advice appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w Plus
8 4.2k 99 England
25 Oct 2012 11:38PM
It's much better in so many ways, it's had a big design update.
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.4k 6 England
25 Oct 2012 11:43PM
What operating system are you using, I found that it will not work with windows XP Sad

26 Oct 2012 12:29AM
thanks , i am using windows vista
26 Oct 2012 7:37AM

not being an expert in lightroom, i cant really comment on all the hidden away features as i didn't use them in version 3. but so far in my 'dabbleing' with version 4 the user inerface has changed in layout, some controls have been 'got rid of' and merged in with others or new ones. An example of this is the recovery slider - which has now disappeared and been replaced with a highlights slider, similarly fill light replaced with shadows.

the sliders have been tweeked to be (IMO) much more user friendly and offer more control - and adobe has still kept the old interface in so if you dont like change, you can in essence run version 3 inside version 4.

Go for it, you know you want to............christmas coming up, and all that!

GlennH 10 1.9k 1 France
26 Oct 2012 7:43AM
I think it'll run on Vista, but stopped supporting XP altogether.

Some of the new features I've used -

Colour moiré reduction brush
Separate RGB channels in curves - far better for colour correction than a single composite channel, i.e. it allows it
Defringe tool - allows fairly painless correction of axial chromatic aberration, which causes ugly magenta to green foreground/background fringing in fast lenses - previously difficult to correct for Canon users
GPS support - you can plonk a picture on the map, and in conjunction with something like Jeffrey Friedl's geo-encoding plug-in you can embed all the location metadata in seconds (very gimmicky for some, but useful if you need accurate captioning)
wicksy 9 79 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 9:14AM
I upgraded and really like the new version. The changes to the basics panel are great - they are more intuative but also I think give much more control over how you develop your image. a really useful addition is the ability to selectivley change white balance using the adjustment brush, very helpful with more than one light source in an image. If you are not sure you might want t take a look at julianne Kostes training videos to get an idea of what it is capable of. http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html
26 Oct 2012 10:03AM
Thanks everyone, very helpful comments as usual from EP members.
CTee 8 95 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 10:06AM
Been using LR 4 on Windows 8 Customer Preview and it is faster than running in Win 7.
XP, Vista & Win 7 users can upgrade to Windows 8 for £24.99 from the web, need to check your PC meets the specs.

In the process of downloading the release version of Win8 as I'm typing this.
mikehit Plus
6 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 12:30PM
If (when) you do get LR4, thenupgrade to 4.2 as soon as possible - several people talked about 4.1 being slow and the move to 4.2 made it much quicker.
I think the processing engine on LR4 gives better images than LR3.
26 Oct 2012 1:32PM
Thanks Mike, I have upgraded now and it loaded version 4.2 automatically.

I dont know enough about the workings of the computer so I will stick with Vista (as long as everything works ok)

Thanks again all

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.