Save up to £360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Upgrade path

TonyHutch 1 5 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2019 8:09AM
I will freely admit to being confused.

After many years of hard service it has come time to retire my Canon 7d mki. As there doesnít appear to be a new version (mkiii) I need to look at alternatives, which are the 7d mkii, 6d, 5d or the new R series. I have a selection of lenses that fit the 7d and think that they will fit the 5,6,7 models and the R series with an adapter.

My budget is not unlimited but would stretch to these options.

What do others think/suggest?

T

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2019 1:47PM
Hi Tony,

What lenses do you currently have ? are all of them EF compatible - Not just EF-s for the APS-c size sensor of the 7D.

Shoot FF (EOS 5 or 6, or the EOS R) will make your current lenses seem to have shorter reach, but be wider.

Its a tricky time to consider the EOR R or the EOS-RP - they carry a premium price as they are a new design and their new native lenses are also expensive. Yet the price has dropped almost 10% in the last few weeks.

Keeping cost in mind, with the adapter you can still use old lenses and also perhaps soon pick up 2nd hand EF bargains as people start to shift from EF to RF lenses.

I'm holding out for as long as possible with my 6D, then would consider the EOR-R when its price drops more. Ideally my 6D will hold good for a while yet and Canon will release a ProRF body and a High Mega pixel body. Then What i really want is something like an EOR-Rmk2 that has a price more like the 6Dmk2

Lets not forget - Spec for Spec Sony seems to offer brilliant cameras and older models depreciate quickly so can be had for a bargain.

Cheers
Stuart
JackAllTog Plus
19 Sep 2019 4:04PM

Quote:...............almost 10% in the last few weeks.................

And there is £160 cashback promo if bought between 2nd September 2019 and 17th October 2019. So the price has actually dropped over 15% recently

19 Sep 2019 4:19PM
Stuart
Thanks
My lenses are:
50mm EF 1:1.8
75- 300mm EF 1:4-5.6
15-85mm EFS
70 - 200mm EF 1:4

Yes the mirrorless R series is tempting.

t
JackAllTog Plus
19 Sep 2019 6:39PM
So the 15 85 might fit physically but would I'd think badly vignette the frame edges. The rest look fine.
On your new FF body The 300 zoom end will be Abit like the 200.

If you have a camera shop near like wex or something, then go see them and hold the R it felt a little square to me.

The 6d is a similar ish size to the 7d the 5dmk is bigger.
20 Sep 2019 7:47AM
Thanks - it is a daunting prospect: retiring a much loved but now quite battered old friend.

Good advice

T
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 600 England
20 Sep 2019 10:17AM
EF-S lenses will fit the RF-EF adaptor on the EOS R and give a cropped image, and as the viewfinder is electronic you won't really notice. So your 15-85 will still be usable.
That's probably not helped a great deal Smile
By the way, I use a 5D3 and an R.
20 Sep 2019 10:23AM
Thanks - all intelligence is helpful.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
20 Sep 2019 10:34AM
Tony, have you sat down to write a list of what you like and dislike about your present camera and what you'd like your next camera to be able to do?

I'd suggest that your search will a lot easier if you know roughly what you're looking for. If the current camera does a good job and you like using it, why not look for a pristine example. After this time, they'll be almost given away.

My wife still uses Nikon D2Xs bodies for her studio work, some 15 years after buying them because they do the job at base ISO. Even professionals don't always wear out single-digit Nikons!
20 Sep 2019 11:44AM
Thanks - sage advice.

There is nothing that I need to do that the 7d won't do save that if if I need to upgrade (which is due to damage) I wanted to see what was available and what new features would be useful. An irritation is not being able to transfer images to my iPad, for example.

t
20 Sep 2019 5:16PM
You could consider the 7D2
Priced at £945, actually gone up a bit

However the recently introduced 90D might be worth a look also, itís a new body and costs a bit more

Before consider a mirror less you might want to fondle it first and check out the EVF they are quite different to OVFs
20 Sep 2019 5:27PM
Thanks, the fog is clearing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.