Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Upgrading from Nikon D70 to Nikon D300

Strobekid 13 369 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2008 11:17AM
David - I have had my D300 for about 6 months now. It is an excellent camera. Firt impression when I upgraded from D80 were

1. heavy - it means it's expensive (and good Smile ) But seriously, if you are upgrading from D70, the weight difference is huge. Holding it steady can be more difficult, and carrying it around with you all day on a holiday will be more strain
2. excellent viewfinder
3. nicer backscreen
4. good button layout

Having used it, benefits I found over D80 were
1. Better high ISO noise handling
2. Better battery life
3. Active D Lighting really works
4. 3D tracking AF great for sports or kids
5. Sensor cleaning does work nicely, I think. After 6 months, I don't see any need for sensor cleaning
6. If you use SB800, then Nikon CLS will be on tap when you want it

There are other features like 6fps continuous shoot and live view mode, and all sorts, but I don't have the need for those really, but you might do.

Hope that helps

Regards
Keigo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Elwin 13 2
1 Jun 2008 5:39PM
Hi Dave...I upgraded to the D300 from a D80 3 months ago. I kept the D80 as a second body so I wouldn't be changing lenses all the time. The thing is...I don't want to use the D80 as the D300 is just so much better. I can tell which body a shot was taken on just by a glance at the picture on the pc moniter! The D300 is far sharper and clearer...so I still find myself swapping lenses!
Skodster 14 902 Ireland
2 Jun 2008 7:19PM
I upgraded from a D70 to a D200.....unbelievable!

You will not believe the difference but make sure you have the right lens! Sigma F2.8 18-50 is a great lens to have as standard.
skeletor 16 1.7k England
6 Jun 2008 5:05PM
smallbeer, or anyone else interested and flying soon, Dixons Tax Free have the D300 at 850

Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.