Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Upgrading my Olympus

mpdragon 19 22
1 Dec 2002 8:26PM
Hi - I've had my 2mp Olympus C700 for a year now and have the itch to upgrade. Has anyone tried the new Olympus C5050 yet? I've got used to the feel of this type of camera rather than the compacts and the only things I'm sure about are that I want more megapixels, smart media (I've got loads of cards!) and an optical viewfinder.

I've read a couple of reviews about the C5050, but one in particular was very scathing about the CA. Anyone got any comments? I think I'd be looking at between 600 - 700, but don't want the traditional SLR type as I want the option to point and shoot as well!
bppowell 19 2.2k 2 England
1 Dec 2002 9:28PM
Hi
I do not know about the C5050 but have you thought about the E10, this has four settings program, aperture, shutter and manual. I put one up for sale at 500 on this forum a couple of day ago but you can buy it new for about 700. I have found Olympus to be very good camera's. I now have the E20 and I am more than pleased with it, before that I had the 1400xl and took some really good images with it.

Barry
mpdragon 19 22
2 Dec 2002 6:49AM
Thanks, Barry - I think that one may be a bit on the big side for what I want.
vfrkid 18 1
10 Jan 2003 11:34PM
follow this link.
www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c5050.html
a very good review site.
i have the c3000 which is superb.
matty11276 18 2
23 Feb 2003 4:48PM
Hi . . . . I couldn't help but notice this discussion and wanted to participate. As an experienced Olympus digital camera user, I have had the opportunity to try many of the popular digital cameras.

About 3 months ago, I purchased the Olympus E10, and fell in love with it. It was a great camera for making that trasition between your regular SLR camera and the digital camera. Though it is a great camera, I was disappointed with the quality of the LCD screen (it's horrible trust me), as well as how slow everything takes when in menus or even viewing photos. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing camera and is even more expensive than the Olympus C5050 you are looking at. Let me fill you in on a little secret: Just because something is more expensive does not always mean it's better!

I went on a trip to Boston last week and had the opportunity to speak with a professional photographer that sold cameras, and with my E10 in hand, he proceeded to tell me how great the C5050 was - One week later . . . (yesterday) I decided to buy this amazing little C5050 to see what all the hype was about.

I can honestly tell you that, after using the C5050, I have never used a better camera all around! The quickness, ability to shoot in low light conditions, quality of the LCD monitor, user friendliness of the menus, and extra gadgets and toys will absolutely blow your mind. Also instead of having the E10's 4.0 megapixel, you can have 5.2 with half the weight of lugging that big ol E10 around. I would be more than happy to email you some sample images I have taken - you can email me at Matty11276@hvc.rr.com. In conclusion, the C5050 is clearly the way to go when comparing to the E10. You will be amazed by what it can do, and for much less the price of the E10. I had to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to finally find the camera that is absolutely perfect for me, but it's well worth it! I can hardly even put the thing down! Good luck in your next purchase, but I promise you will be better off with the C5050 - it's excellent for macro photography by the way - much much better than the E10 if that's what's also important to you. Good luck!
mpdragon 19 22
23 Feb 2003 6:32PM
matty11276 - got it, it's great! Still learning my way around it but I can see hours of endless enjoyment
mpdragon
matty11276 18 2
23 Feb 2003 7:49PM
great! I'm so happy for you! Feel free to shed some light on me since I just got mine last night!
jane benge 18 99 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2003 3:28PM
I have an Olympus Camedia 2020Z so was very interested to read your comments on the C5050. Have they done anything to combat the difficulties experienced in trying to read the menu in the LCD viewer in bright sunlight? My camera has been wonderful but
I would love more pixels.
Thanks Jane
stan walker 18 578
8 Jul 2003 6:47PM
Ah well the 2020 was the second digi camera I bought. I must say it takes some fab shots Do not complain about the inability to read the LCD, all cameras suffer this. That is until you stick a Jessops bellows type hood on which improves it a lot.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.