30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Uploaded file size

J-P 18 396
30 Mar 2003 11:12AM
Greetings all.

I'm always careful to get my file size to about 45kB for upload, 500 pixels wide, 72dpi. I don't use the 'Save for Web' function.

When I right click on one of my pictures and highlight 'properties' the file size is often only half of what I thought it would be.

Does the e-photozine server 'downsize' the file, or is the right click 'properties' not giving the true size.
AlanTW 18 353
30 Mar 2003 12:27PM
Yep - that's exactly what I find, looking forward to an explanation from Pete et al
Will 19 1.8k United Kingdom
30 Mar 2003 12:59PM
With the current system most images are resized.

In the new system, as long as your images are either 500 pixels or less (wide or high) and under 60k they won't be altered at all. If for some reason they are larger than 500pixels or 60k, the image resizing will also be of higher quality than it is now.

There's still quite a lot more work to be done on the new generation of the site, but hopefully you'll find it worth the wait. Smile
AlanTW 18 353
30 Mar 2003 1:29PM
Thanks for the explanation Will - we'll just just have to be patient!
a2jlp 18 165 Scotland
30 Mar 2003 4:32PM
I also stick to the rules for submitting photos and wasn't aware there was a downsizing in quality applied. This could explain why some photographs, mainly contrasty images or those with a fair degree of unsharp mask applied, sometimes appear a little grainy / blocky and lose any smooth transition from a light to dark area. Anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things? Still a great site though and I'm sure the new version will be well worth waiting for. Got a go live date yet?
J-P 18 396
30 Mar 2003 8:45PM
Thanks Will. Yes, John, I've noticed this, that's what propmpted me to check the file size.

Looking forward to the new upgrades.

JP
Will 19 1.8k United Kingdom
30 Mar 2003 9:26PM
John, No go-live date yet sorry. It'll be at least another month.

Although all the content (reviews, forums, galleries etc.) will stay the same, the site code is being re-done from scratch which is why it is taking so long.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.