Find Out What's Happening At The Photography Show 2021

Urgent Help Required!!

Yikes 7
3 Jul 2014 12:37PM
Hi, I know very little about cameras and I'm easily confused... I'm throwing myself at the mercy of the ephotozine community to help me out of a hole of my own making

I got married 2 weeks ago and it's my husband's birthday very soon. As yet, I don't have him a birthday present (failing as a wife already!!) He has a Nikon D80 and his general "everday" kit lens is broken beyond repair apparently. I was hoping to get a replacement for his birthday. His only other lens is a macro. The broken lens says on it "Nikkor AF-S DX 18-135mm 1:3-5.6G ED"

I've found one on ebay but I'm struggling to find one elsewhere. Have they stopped being made, and if so, what should I get as a replacement? What would be a reasonable price to pay for a second hand one?

Many Thanks

J.
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
3 Jul 2014 1:07PM
There's a website called Camera Pricebuster that gives up to date prices for new equipment, and the 18-135 is no longer listed. There is an 18-105 that you'll find by clicking on the blue text for Camera Pricebuster, but you don't say what your budget is. He also might have a secret longing for another lens, so it's a dodgy purchase to go ahead without speaking to him, unless you can change it later if it doesn't suit.
3 Jul 2014 1:44PM
I know if it was my partner getting something for me, I would prefer a voucher or coupon for my favourite camera store or even online shopping! that way if there was something he had his eye on, you have contributed and given him the encouragement to go and buy it. (I'm making sure my partner reads this lol)WinkGrin
Railcam 14 925 2 Scotland
3 Jul 2014 2:08PM
If an 18-135 is a must, there are two on Gray's of Westminster website, under "Zoom Lenses DX":
http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/secondhand.php
janeez Plus
13 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2014 5:01PM
18-135 teamed with the D80 is a marriage made in heaven! If you can get him another one, all be it second hand, it is certainly worth doing. Failing that the 18-105 is still a nice lens that will work well with the D80. If you really want to splash out then the Nikkor 18-200 f3.5 is even better but be prepared to spend about 560.
PaulMillar 10 83 2 Scotland
3 Jul 2014 9:28PM
Hi pal, listen here's an idea for you, picking a lens for any level of photographer is hard place to be. This is already been said but I would much rather pick my own lens. So up to you but will gift card is ok but why not find out a local retailer shop even if it going to be a few mile drive, sort out a nice place for lunch then you drop in the visit to look at new lenses. I did a 700 mile round trip to pick up my new kit.
It's up to you how you do it but I would every time let him pick his own kit, less stress for you.

Good luck

Paul
4 Jul 2014 7:56AM
Hi. Good advice above. Can't help feeling that if you husband likes, and is really used to, his 18-135 he'd probably like another one. It has a useful gain in zoom length over the 18-105. Here's some info which may help:

London Camera Exchange (www.lcegroup.co.uk) is a trustworthy dealership with 12 branches around the country. They have four USED 18-135s on their website at prices between 100 and 130. Used gear can be ordered over the phone. (Select the 'Secondhand' tab on the home page. Then use the search box which appears on the right of the next page (Nikon - 18-135mm - Lenses - All branches). The four they have are at different branches.

Ffordes is another good dealer (Scotland) which sells a lot of used gear as well as new (www.ffordes.com). They have a NEW Nikkor 18-135 on their website at 329.99 (no used ones currently listed).

Hope this helps.
Mark.
I've bought used gear very successfully from both these dealerships.
ChrisJD 11 100 Scotland
4 Jul 2014 8:24AM
I've also bought used gear from MPB Photographic and Grays of Westminster and would struggle to notice that it's used - the quality is that high. Why not suggest the used route to your husband and get more for your money? I'd be very happy with that (and if my new wife is reading this I'd a like a used 400 f2.8 please) Wink
steve_p 16 1.2k England
4 Jul 2014 10:17AM
MPB have two on their listings, I have bought all my recent equipment from them. I have always found them helpful and efficient.
Just had a 14-140 Panasonic shown as exc++ I cannot tell it from new apart from no box!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.