Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

USB 3.0 Superspeed Card Readers advice

ianfox 11 19 United Kingdom
25 Dec 2011 5:00PM
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a USB 3.0 Card Reader.

The usual suspects of Amazon, Ebay, PicStop, 7Day Shop, Play, Ebuyer seem to have limited supplies of SuperSpeed readers. Ideally I'd like a brand I've heard of and a price under 20 that reads CF and SDHC cards .

Anyone got any experience or recommendations of products or places not on the above list I can try.

Thank you.
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
25 Dec 2011 5:08PM
Novatech, scan, pcworld, comet, curry, maplins, Smile
26 Dec 2011 9:07AM
Thanks for those suggestions.

Unbelievably none of them have them have anything that fits the bill.
26 Dec 2011 9:24AM
26 Dec 2011 9:34AM
Thanks again but that kind of brings me back to the beginning really.

I find Google shopping really unreliable, I've ordered one from base after finding a Trust Card reader, supposedly it's in stock before you order and after you order you get a notification saying it's on back order and will be despatched when they receive their delivery - no dates given and I ordered it three weeks ago.

There are places that have them but some of them are brands that I've not used before with either poor or none existent reviews.

I quite often don't leave a review for a product after I've bought it but I thought I might find someone on here who had on that they were pleased with.
26 Dec 2011 9:41AM
your requirements are quite specific, and if you want to make sure they have it in stock, give them a call.

Do you have a computer that can read USB 3 then?
absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
26 Dec 2011 10:46AM
Amazon have the Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual Slot Reader at 19.49 - that appears to fit your requirements.
Steve
26 Dec 2011 5:12PM
I have a PCI card that just slots in and gives me two 3.0 sockets.

Sometimes when I do promo shots for people with the file sizes and the number of shots downloading the images is a go and make a cup of tea and wait job. Hoping USB 3 is going to speed up the process.

That Lexar one looks good.
26 Dec 2011 6:50PM

Quote:I have a PCI card that just slots in and gives me two 3.0 sockets.

Sometimes when I do promo shots for people with the file sizes and the number of shots downloading the images is a go and make a cup of tea and wait job. Hoping USB 3 is going to speed up the process.

That Lexar one looks good.

that's the first one on the Google shopping link i gave you at the start of the thread. Wink
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Dec 2011 7:03PM
Rick, that link you did at the start of the thread will work differently for different people and over time won't always give the same result
14 Jan 2012 5:27PM
Finally got round to sorting all this out and installing the PCI card etc.

144 RAW files from Canon 50D on San Disk Ultra Card imported through Transcend USB 3.0 PCI Express Card on Lexar Reader as above 2.02 minutes.

The Same 144 files on card reader built into desktop machine...not entirely sure I gave up at 18.30 minutes at that point it had imported 42 files .

Thanks for all the help and advice.
14 Jan 2012 8:10PM
i would have thought that there was a problem with the reader that you have built into your tower with times like that? I regularly download RAW files using the built in reader in my laptop, and even though i have never timed it, i am sure its not even near 10 minutes to get 200 images (ish).... but at least you are sorted now, and 2 minutes is a good difference. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.