Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

usb card reader??

conniemayw 15 100 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2005 7:44AM
hello
can anyone recommend a GOOD usb reader that needs to read smart cards, compact flash and possibly but not importantly microdrives?
My reader of CF keeps flipping out (but it was free with epson printer!)
thanks in anticipation
connie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ray1 15 546 1 England
17 Apr 2005 9:04AM
I use a lexar reader that is excellent. Try www.mymemory.co.uk.
u08mcb 16 5.8k
17 Apr 2005 9:14AM
shuttle card reader

Its internal, don't know if you're shy of installing your own components but it reduces desk clutter.

Not used this myself but it fulfils all your requirements and then some:

NEWLink Multifunctional Front Panel USB Card Reader
elcid 15 150 England
17 Apr 2005 11:19AM
I have had card reader that will read 8 different formats.
They still have it in the Argos catalogue at 14.99.
Worked for me for a few years, no problem.
Then I bought a FujiA340, which uses XD, Which was the only card that wasn't supported.
But I still use my old cameras, and the old reader is still going strong.

Bill.
duratorque 16 427 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2005 3:00PM
I got a 12 in 1 USB reader fro www.ebuyer.co.uk for just over a fiver, postage included. Works well with SM, SD and CF. No probems so far.
mr pider 15 32
18 Apr 2005 1:34AM
I had the silver 6 in 1 one from 7 Day Shop and it used to crash half way through reading big cards on my Dell, worked with my laptop though. I replaced it with a Viking 14? in 1 one from 7 Day Shop that was USB 2 and that works a treat. It cost about ten quid.
daviewat 16 4.1k Scotland
18 Apr 2005 1:38AM
Personally I prefer a dedicated reader, ie; compactflash, then use one for CF and so on. Have no idea why this has always worked better. OK might be a little more expensive but how many of us use more than 1 format on a regular basis ?

Dave
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
18 Apr 2005 1:49AM
Card readers are very cheap now days. I might argue that CF cards don't need to be ultra fast and expensive but I would prefer a reasonable make and quality single card reader myself. Better multi card readers are more expensive and I would not rely upon a 10 jobby, though if they fail it is unlikely (but not impossible) they will scramble the card.
conniemayw 15 100 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2005 9:38AM
thanks for advice
I do use cf and sm regularly so need equipment for both (paid for them so want my money's worth).
new camera will take md and whereas I'm not considering using one at the moment, who knows?
regards to all
connie

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.